English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have got got a couple of questions:

1) Should there be an article in front of 'ability' in the sentence: 'There are many features of a good couple such as ability to perceive each other as a unique being.' If there should be an article, why? :)

2) Is it possible to say 'anyone of them' in a sentence: 'I didn't understand anyone of them.'

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
1) Let me begin with the statement that you have to correct your whole sentence.
2) Yes, it is possible.

Not a teacher

Last edited:
Thank you

1) Is it better now?
2) Can you tell if (and where) I could find it - as a rule, because if 'anyone of them' can be really used I could have a better mark. :)

'There are many features of a good couple such as ability to perceive each other as a unique being.'
I would write: "There are many features of a good couple. One of them is the ability to perceive each other as a unique human being." Article "the" sounds ok because you talk about one particular ability.

Do you know that you could also write "I didn't understand them"? It would be the easiest way.

1. "the ability"
2. "any one of" <---note: "any one" is not the same as "anyone."

1) Let me begin with the statement that you have to correct your whole sentence.
2) Yes, it is possible.

Please say you are not a teacher before giving misinformation. :-| 2 is acceptable only if 'any' and 'one' are separate words. So you can get away with it in speech, but in writing you will expose your ignorance.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back