Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hello,

I've just finished reading A doll's house by Henrik Ibsen. Actually its language is simple and it is not that complicated. So, I just want to know from you-English-native speakers- What books can you recommend ? And what are the masterpieces of English literature( novels, plays, poetry..)?

Thank you in advances: )

A few weeks ago, there was a discussion about John Steinbeck as a teacher was using him in class, and I think he could be a very good author to read- a great writer telling memorable stories clearly.

Thank you so much. Could you please suggest some names of books for me of that writer and others ?

Regards,
[h=3][/h]

I enjoyed Tortilla Flat, Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath

I'm much obliged for your help and suggestions.

Thank you again.

AtoneMent- Ian McEwan

I especially liked Ernest Hemingway's "Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises" and his short stories ("Hills Like White Elephants", for instance.)

charliedeut

Hello,

I've just finished reading A doll's house by Henrik Ibsen. Actually its language is simple and it is not that complicated. So, I just want to know from you-English-native speakers- What books can you recommend ? And what are the masterpieces of English literature( novels, plays, poetry..)?

Thank you in advances: )

Here's a top 10 I'd recommend (in no order):
1. Graham Greene - The End of The Affair
2. George Orwell - Keep The Aspidistra Flying
3. Rose Tremain - Restoration
4. Angela Carter - Nights At The Circus
5. Rohinton Mistry - A Fine Balance
6. Julian Barnes - Arthur and George
7. Tim Winton - Cloudstreet
8. T. Coraghessan Boyle - Water Music
9. Adam Thorpe - Ulverton
10. Evelyn Waugh - Brideshead Revisited

Thank you so much for all your answers & suggestions. Well-appreciated.

I just read Washington Square by Henry James, and I loved it. It is a really interesting character study, but the language is not too difficult.

I just read Washington Square by Henry James, and I loved it. It is a really interesting character study, but the language is not too difficult.

Thank you!

I recommend Henry Fielding, if you are an advanced reader. Extremely funny and well-written, though around 300 years old.

When we talk about literary masterpieces, we usually mean old books by dead people. You could call A Doll's House a Swedish masterpiece.

So are you looking for old classics, or are you looking for books we think are wonderful? Since you liked A Doll's House, you might try Alice Walker, Barbara Kingsolver, or Toni Morrison. They're living authors who write about women who escape their doll houses.

And yes, I love Steinbeck, too. My favorite is In Dubious Battle. It's about union organizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back