• Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Toppings

There's also the folksy "fixings" term. I can't remember what hamburger chain gives you your burger with nothing but the meat (and cheese if ordered) and the bun. In the restaurant there is something like a salad bar, with the lettuce, onions, tomatoes, etc. which they call the "fixings bar."

I too consider a BLT to be a BLT. The other, for me, is a grilled cheese sandwhich with a tomato.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobSmith View Post
    IMO, we do not say "filling" for sandwiches because "filling" is what goes in pies. And by pies, I mean fruit pies, not some weird meat-filled thing.
    What do you call (collectively) the mix of meat and gravy and onions etc that goes in a meat pie?

BobSmith is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    What do you call (collectively) the mix of meat and gravy and onions etc that goes in a meat pie?
    I can't speak for every American, but in my house growing up, the only "pies" were desserts. The only exception to this is a "potpie", which is always very small (single serving) and basically something you'd make for a child. I can't imagine a "grown-up" eating a potpie, unless it's some comfort food from their past. You won't find "meat pies" anywhere in a typical grocery store.

But to answer your question, I guess I'd reluctantly call it "filling", but I'd probably put air-quotes around it when I said it

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobSmith View Post
    I can't speak for every American, but in my house growing up, the only "pies" were desserts. The only exception to this is a "potpie", which is always very small (single serving) and basically something you'd make for a child. I can't imagine a "grown-up" eating a potpie, unless it's some comfort food from their past. You won't find "meat pies" anywhere in a typical grocery store.

But to answer your question, I guess I'd reluctantly call it "filling", but I'd probably put air-quotes around it when I said it
    Wow, I had no idea that meat pies weren't really eaten in America! I'm veggie so I wouldn't eat one anywhere but I just figured they were fairly international. Mind you, it looks like you might be seeing more of them: Aussie meat pies gaining fans in US

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

His version of chicken pot pie is not my version of chicken pot pie. Mine is in a crust, either in a real pie tin or (sometimes) ina square/rectangular casserole dish with chicken, a thick broth, carrots and other veggies, and a crust on top. I'm actually a bit surprised to read Bob's saying that no adult would eat a pot pie.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

After reviewing the previous responses and in my own experience, I don't believe there is any general term that we use in AmE for things like cheese, lettuce, tomatoes etc. collectively for a sandwich. Instead, I think you would hear, for example, "I'll have the burger with everything" or I'll have the burger (plain, no onion, with mustard etc.).

SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    His version of chicken pot pie is not my version of chicken pot pie. Mine is in a crust, either in a real pie tin or (sometimes) ina square/rectangular casserole dish with chicken, a thick broth, carrots and other veggies, and a crust on top. I'm actually a bit surprised to read Bob's saying that no adult would eat a pot pie.
    They're certainly a comfort food in these parts. For adults. As a child, I would never eat anything with so many vegetables lurking inside.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Interesting idea. When I buy a BLT (Bacon, lettuce and tomato), I consider that there are three things in the sandwich, not bacon plus a topping. How about a cheese and tomato sandwich. Which is the topping now?
    The BLT would probably be a special case. However, if you wanted mayo or jalapenos on top, they would be toppings or condiments, not fillings.

I think you're veering from the idea of what you call things that go on your sandwich (standard options) into things that make a particular sandwich unique. I certainly expect bacon and cheese on my bacon cheeseburger. If I order it "plain" I still expect bacon and cheese. But if I want lettuce and onions on it, they are toppings.

As Bob mentioned, fluid sauces are "condiments." I think all condiments are toppings, but not all toppings are condiments.

http://www.fiveguys.com/menu.aspx

Here is an example menu from a burger place.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I think you're veering from the idea of what you call things that go on your sandwich (standard options) into things that make a particular sandwich unique.
    No, I think we just look at sandwiches in a different way on our side of the Atlantic. For us, a traditional sandwich is simply two slices of bread and butter with something in between. That something is the filling.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    No, I think we just look at sandwiches in a different way on our side of the Atlantic. For us, a traditional sandwich is simply two slices of bread and butter with something in between. That something is the filling.
    If I understand this correctly, then you would ask what you want "in" your sandwich, while we say "on."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast