Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
United States
Greetings.
I'd like to know if there is rule for consonant /p/ to be silent as in psoriasis, or psychology. Does it have anything to do with the letter /s/? I would appreciate an explanation.
Thanks.

Since English is your native language, it shouldn't be such a big problem for you.

Thanks, but you failed to explain the grammatical rules.

There are no rules. Most of the words that begin with 'ps' come from Greek, and originally began with the Greek letter psi. This was pronounced roughly like /ps/, an unacceptable combination at the beginning of words in English; so, the /p/ disappeared.

It's also usually silent in Phnom Penh for the same reason- it's hard to say, though this comes from a different language.

It's silent in "Ptolemy" too, for similar reasons.

In a way, yes, it has to do with /s/. For instance, clusters like /pl/, /pr/ and /pw/ are permitted. So, p + any approximant other than /j/ is permitted.

For instance, clusters like /pl/, /pr/ and /pw/ are permitted. So, p + any approximant other than /j/ is permitted.
/p/ can be followed by /j/ - pew, pewter, dispute, etc. I can't at the moment think of any /pw/ combinations in English

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back