English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Is the following sentence acceptable?
The interior of the train station, with superb, luxurious, and exquisite decorations, was having a nostalgic design and inspiration.

Is the following sentence acceptable?
The interior of the train station, with superb, luxurious, and exquisite decorations, was having a nostalgic design and inspiration.
No, you can't use "was having" like that.

The interior of the train station, with superb, luxurious, and exquisite decorations, had a nostalgic design and inspiration.

With its superb works better for me, but the sentence is a bit flowery for my taste. ;-)

The interior of the train station, with superb, luxurious, and exquisite decorations, had a nostalgic design and inspiration.

NOT A TEACHER

In my opinion things don't have an inspiration but rather either are an inspiration or simply inspire.

Therefore I would rewrite your sentence thus:

The interior of the train station, with its superb, luxurious and exquisite decorations, had a nostalgic design and was an inspiration.

or

The interior of the train station, with its superb, luxurious and exquisite decorations, had a nostalgic design and inspired.

It is people who can have an inspiration, meaning that a wonderful idea has dawned on them.

BTW is "inspiration" really a countable noun?

She is an inspiration to her classmates. Yes.

I was guessing that the designer was inspired by something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back