Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Australia
Please look at the sentences below:

Food manufacturers are using a loophole in trademark law to dupe consumers into thinking products high in fat or sugar are healthy, a study has found

My understanding on this after TO "ing" format should not be used. In the above sentence "into thinking " is wrong I guess. It should be into think? Am i right?

if I am wrong tell me the grammar rule?
Thanks

Please look at the sentences below:

Food manufacturers are using a loophole in trademark law to dupe consumers into thinking products high in fat or sugar are healthy, a study has found

My understanding on this after TO "ing" format should not be used. In the above sentence "into thinking " is wrong I guess. It should be into think? Am i right?

if I am wrong tell me the grammar rule?
Thanks

No, it is quite correct as written. 'Into' is a preposition, and therefore requires here a gerund as object.

Thanks, but not clear. can u explain bit further with examples?

Thanks, but not clear. can u explain bit further with examples?

When you wish to collocate a preposition with a verbal form, the gerund form (in -ing) is normally required.

Other examples include

I am in favour OF going there in person.
To you object TO my seeing her?
Our object consists IN getting as many new customers as possible.

When you wish to collocate a preposition with a verbal form, the gerund form (in -ing) is normally required.

Other examples include

I am in favour OF going there in person.
To you object TO my seeing her?
Our object consists IN getting as many new customers as possible.

quick question if I may: looking back to the first post question, is it possible to replace the word "thinking" gerund into a normal verb? I'm sure "think" would be wrong, but maybe another word that i can't think of? thanks

quick question if I may: looking back to the first post question, is it possible to replace the word "thinking" gerund into a normal verb?
The gerund is the normal verb-form here. No other form is possible.

You could change the verb into something like believing/feeling, but it would still be a gerund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back