Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
I think that this sentence is wrong, isn't it?

Working here for 3 years she knows every staff member well.

I would say "Having worked here for 3 years..."

I agree with MartinEnglish, or "After working here for three years …".
You might hear your abbreviated example in conversation.

not a teacher

You might hear your abbreviated example in conversation.
not a teacher
Do you mean that people can say WORKING meaning - AFTER WORKING?

Last edited:
Do you mean that people can say WORKING meaning - AFTER WORKING?

I mean that in conversation the "after" might be implied but not necessarily spoken.

not a teacher

What about this sentence:

Living here all my life, some days I don't even notice how beautiful it is.
(Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden)

I think that the most correct way should be - Having been living all my life.

As far as I understand "living" can be used in this manner when spoken in the colloquial speech. Am I right on that?

Living here all my life, some days I don't even notice how beautiful it is.

I think that the most correct way should be - Having been living all my life.

As far as I understand "living" can be used in this manner when spoken in the colloquial speech. Am I right on that?
I think that this is one of those situations in which style is more important than theoretical grammar. 'Living here all my life' is fine; 'having lived ...' is also OK; 'having been living ...' is ugly.

I can't disagree. However, do you think if we approached it only from the theoretical grammar's point of view "living" wouldn't be the right option here?

I can't disagree. However, do you think if we approached it only from the theoretical grammar's point of view "living" wouldn't be the right option here?
Perhaps I used the wrong expression with 'theoretical grammar'. I think that the prescriptive grammarian would insist on 'having lived' - and that's almost certainly what I would say. However, (personal opinion only), I think that only a pedant would object strongly to 'living'.

If the speaker had actually moved elsewhere and returned for some occasion, then s/he would almost certainly say only "Having lived here (for) most of my life, ...". In that context, 'living' would be less acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back