Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
2 sentences:

1. "Thanks that you've offered your help but I don't lack anything."
2. "Thanks that you've offered your help but I don't lack for anything."

Which one is right?

Last edited:
Do you understand the difference between correct and true?

1. "Thanks that you've offered your help but I don't lack anything."
2. "Thanks that you've offered your help but I don't lack for anything."
Both are possible; we are more likely to say, "Thanks for offering to help, ...".

As for the main point of your question, as an American, I'd say
Thanks for your offer to help, but I don't need anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bite the bullet and say that "I don't lack anything" is far more common in AusE.

As for the main point of your question, as an American, I'd say
Thanks for your offer to help, but I don't need anything.
I'll bite the bullet and say that "I don't lack anything" is far more common in AusE.
As a speaker of BrE, I'll go with Barb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that don't need has largely replaced lack at least on this side of the pond.

But to come back to the original question, lack and lack for are I think equally intelligible in spite of the redundancy of for.

If I had to use the word lack, I would not say "I don't lack anything" but rather "I lack nothing."

I agree the "for" optional and woukd not confuse the meaning whether it was included or omitted.

I would go with "Thanks for your offer of help" (rather than "to help") but would also end it differently.

Thanks for your offer of help but I don't need any.

:up: People may say it, but I'm inclined to think that when they say 'lack for' they mean 'want for'( which means 'not to have...'). The expression 'want for' sounds a bit archaic, and often collocates (in idioms where it still survives) with a negative: 'Marry me and you'll want for nothing.'

b

:up: People may say it, but I'm inclined to think that when they say 'lack for' they mean 'want for'( which means 'not to have/suffer because of not having ...'). The expression 'want for' sounds a bit archaic, and often collocates (in idioms where it still survives) with a negative: 'Marry me and you'll want for nothing.'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back