Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

The word wicked goes against English common/universal rule that says that after voiceless sounds such as k, the final –ed is pronounced like t. Note that the -e remains silent. "Wicked" ends in a k sound followed by a d sound as a result it was supposed to be blended/wɪkt/ not pronounced as an extra syllable/ˈwɪk·ɪd/. But I had better listen to native speakers and dictionaries.
wicked adjective (BAD)
/ˈwɪk.ɪd/
wicked /wkd/
Question: Do we have words that follow the same pattern when it comes to this exception?

Thank you,

There is no universal rule such as you mention. 'Wicked' was not 'supposed to be' pronounced as one syllable.

'Naked' is also two syllables.

I think the "-ed" is pronounced as "t" after voiceless consonants when it's a suffix to a verb (as in washed) but not when the word ends naturally in "-ed" (i.e. when not a suffix, as in cowshed) - note the difference between "moped" (verb) and "moped" (vehicle)

I think the "-ed" is pronounced as "t" after voiceless consonants when it's a suffix to a verb (as in washed) but not when the word ends naturally in "-ed" (i.e. when not a suffix, as in cowshed) - note the difference between "moped" (verb) and "moped" (vehicle)
:up: This suggests to me a thought experiment. Suppose someone invented a candle that worked without a wick. It's longer-lasting but more expensive that the traditional candles with wicks. Your partner asks you to go shopping and get some candles '- but not those wickless ones. I prefer the old wicked* ones.

*This is a (non-existent) one-syllable word, that would mean - if it existed - 'having a wick'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.