At the drop of a hat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they're my cup of tea. ;-)

G'day Tdol,
I checked the link you supplied and found the definition given to be a little simplistic, if I am allowed to say that here.
I mean no offence but to say that, 'At the drop of a hat' means simply 'immediately' or 'rapidly' misses the entire point of the saying.
At the drop of a hat can mean instantly but it can also mean that a thing will happen instantly but at some time in the future.

The full idiomatic saying is similar to, 'He will fight at the drop of a hat!'
What this means is not that he will fight instantly or even soon. It does not mean that he will actually fight unless someone 'drops a hat' but blokes are very careful about 'dropping hats' around him.

To drop a hat is one of the quietest and most innofensive slow gestures that a man makes.
The hat falls slowly.
The hat makes no noise in the falling or the landing.
The hat damages nothing.
A dropped hat is not thrown.
There is nothing offensive about dropping a hat.

A bloke who will blue at the drop of a hat is a bloke who will fight at the slightest provocation or excuse.

To do something at the drop of a hat is to do something on a whim.
The whim may be instantaneous or delayed but it is the whimsey aspect that the saying is trying to convey.

See ya

G'day Tdol,
May I suggest that the definition given is less than complete and may be confusing to the leanre.
At the drop of a hat is a fragmentary part of the more complete idiomatic saying, 'He'll blue (fight) at the drop of a hat.'

This does not mean that he will fight without hesitation but rather that he will fight with little or no provocation.
A dropped hat would have to be the most peacefully quiet slow motion that one could imagine of a bloke in the company of other blokes.
The falling hat makes no sound.
The falling hat travels quite slowly.
The falling hat breaks nothing.
The falling hat is not aggressive.

A bloke who will fight at the drop of a hat will fight with no provocation and on a whim. It is this aspect of whimsy that 'at the drop of a hat' conveys not a lack of hesitation.
I hope that I do not confuse your intent.

Last edited:
I think your explanation is a good one.

:up:

A hat can drop even by the slightest wind - without hesitation!

check it out:

Hi

At the drop of hat: immediately; instantly; on the slightest signal or urging

ex:If you need help, just call on me. I can come at the drop of a hat.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back