• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what is the simple way to identify verb and noun including proper noun in a sentences

Could anyone please tell me what is the simple way to identify verb and noun including proper noun in a sentences? What is the simple logic? For instance in the below sentences how to differentiate them?

1. I have extensive experience in supporting Senior Project Managers and Delivery Directors in planning, executing, monitoring, and closing a variety of research projects.
    2. My experience is include Change control, business process ,requirement traceability analysis and dependency management.
    3. I have developed new process and quality standards for project/portfolio delivery governance.
    4. I have a proven track record in tracking, controlling and reporting on project/ programme schedule, budget and scope for executives.
    5. My achievements include

• Successful development and Implementation of Enterprise Dependency Management process and policies.
    • Developed and implemented of SharePoint sites for all PMO & Governance services.

Calis is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what is the simple way to identify verb and noun including proper noun in a sente

In a clause, you have a subject, a verb and possibly an object. The order is very rigid in English, being subject-verb-object. So in the sentence "Mary had a lamb", Mary is a subject and therefore a noun (a proper noun as well, because it is capitalised), a verb characterised by an inflection expressing past tense ("had" as opposed to "have") and a lamb is the object and therefore also a noun.

When learning a word, you should learn along with it what part of speech it is. If you have difficulty in doing so, try to think of its meaning or if you can't remember/don't know it, think of what it is not.

PS: "My experience includes Change Control, business process, requirement...
    "I have developed (a) new process(es) and..." (A noun that does not have a definite article "the" must either have an "a/an" or be plural, without an "a/an")

[Not a teacher]

english_learn is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what is the simple way to identify verb and noun including proper noun in a sente

Thanks but I could not get you. can you please provide some examples or point out in my examples please

probus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by english_learn View Post
    Could anyone please tell me what is the simple way to identify verb and noun including proper noun in a sentences? What is the simple logic? For instance in the below sentences how to differentiate them?

1. I have verb extensive experience noun in supporting Senior Project Managers and Delivery Directors in planning, executing, monitoring, and closing a variety of research projects.
    2. My experience includes verb Change control noun, business process noun ,requirement noun, traceability noun, analysis noun, and dependency noun, management noun

etc. etc. etc.

I fear I have not well understood your question, but you wanted simple. This is simple. Nouns are things, people or ideas. Verbs are actions.

1. I have developed new process and quality standards for project/portfolio delivery governance.s.
    2. My achievements include

• Successful development and Implementation of Enterprise Dependency Management process and policies.
    • eloped and implemented of SharePoint sites for all PMO & Governance services.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

1. My experience includes verb Change control noun, business process noun ,requirement noun, traceability noun, analysis noun, and dependency noun, management noun

if above are nouns ( proper noun) , then why they are not in capital? If they should not be in capital the below nouns( proper noun) should not be in capital as well. Am I right?

1. I have verb extensive experience noun in supporting Senior Project Managersnoun and Delivery Directors noun in planning, executing, monitoring, and closing a variety of research projects.
    Last edited by english_learn; 09-Apr-2013 at 02:57.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

They are not proper nouns, merely common nouns, like sand, spit, food, dirt: the simple things of everyday life.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm slowly starting to get your question. Proper nouns refer to a specific person, country or similar thing. They are capitalized. Examples: English, French, George, Australia, the King, Christmas.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

thats means in the below sentence project manager and delivery director should not be in capital ? am I right ?

1. I have verb extensive experience noun in supporting Senior Project Managersnoun and Delivery Directors noun in planning, executing, monitoring, and closing a variety of research projects.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you are correct.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at the this link http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...oper-noun.html

One of your teachers did proof reading and confimed above should be in capital. According to your answer , Is she wrong ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast