Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this "simply" denote "only" or "emphasizing nuance"?

7)Part of the bone in her leg had to be taken out and replaced, but finally, after two years of battling, the doctors were able to remove 97% of the cancer, and Cylie was allowed to leave the hospital and return to normal life. After having spent so much time sitting in a wheelchair and lying in a hospital bed, Cylie simply didn’t have enough strength to play basketball. To make matters worse, her doctors had instructed her to avoid heavy physical contact, which is impossible on the basketball court. So, instead of going back to play the sport she loved,

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does this "simply" denote "only" or "emphasizing nuance"?

7)Part of the bone in her leg had to be taken out and replaced, but finally, after two years of battling, the doctors were able to remove 97% of the cancer, and Cylie was allowed to leave the hospital and return to normal life. After having spent so much time sitting in a wheelchair and lying in a hospital bed, Cylie simply didn’t have enough strength to play basketball. To make matters worse, her doctors had instructed her to avoid heavy physical contact, which is impossible on the basketball court. So, instead of going back to play the sport she loved,
"simply" here means an unadorned fact. "I simply do not have enough money", means that, besides any other consideration, I do not have sufficient money. The truth is that Cylie was not strong enough to play basketball. "A fish simply has to be in water to live".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Just to make sure, is the nuance same as the ones in A group or B? I think B.

A)You can enjoy all the water sports, or simply lie on the beach.
Simply
add hot water and stir
B)I haven't seen her for simply ages
You
simplymust see the play
The view is simply wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.