Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
United States
Hi.
I realize article 'the' should be used with unique things such as Mars, Sun, Mercury, etc. But is the a rule for when we shouldn't use 'the' to talk about the objects mentioned?
Much obliged.

Hi.
I realize article 'the' should be used with unique things such as Mars, Sun, Mercury, etc. But is the a rule for when we shouldn't use 'the' to talk about the objects mentioned?
Much obliged.

The definite article should not be used with unique things like Mars and Mercury. It is used with sun because there are other suns in the universe.

The definite article should not be used with unique things like Mars and Mercury. It is used with sun because there are other suns in the universe.

The is used with sun because there is only one sun from our point of view.

...and we write 'the moon' (uncapitalised) because it's a common noun meaning 'satellite' (our only one), unlike 'Ganymede' (one of the moons of Jupiter).

But shouldn't we use definite article if there is only one:
The Pope is visiting Russia.
The moon is very bright tonight.
why then can't we "The Mercury is a small planet that is the closest to the sun in the solar system."

But shouldn't we use definite article if there is only one:
The Pope is visiting Russia.
The moon is very bright tonight.
why then can't we "The Mercury is a small planet that is the closest to the sun in the solar system."

Would you say "The celtaflorida lives in North America"?

Why then can't we say "The Mercury is a small planet that is the closest to the sun in the solar system."

That's English for you.

You can say 'The planet Mercury...' if you want to.

The is used with sun because there is only one sun from our point of view.

There is only one Mars and Mercury also.

Like 'the moon' we say 'the sun' as it's a common noun, unlike Sol.

I don't think most people know that "Sol" is the name of the Sun, nor do they think about whether there are other suns when they pick an article.

I don't think most people know that "Sol" is the name of the Sun, nor do they think about whether there are other suns when they pick an article.

I agree. Article selection, or the lack of it, seems to be programmed into native speakers brains. But this is usually because they parrot what they have heard since earliest recognition. English learners are looking for some sort of reason for these constructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back