Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Looking for opinions on this sentence. To me it sounds very strange. From what my dictionary tells me, 'bespoke' is used in terms of custom made clothing...Is this usage incorrect?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It sounds informally OK to me. It's clear that the invitations ('invites' itself makes the sentence informal) are individually written and 'tailored' to each guest.

Here's just one of the dictionaries that confirms that 'bespoke' is in use in the modern world in relation to websites and computer software; it's not limited to clothing.

(You mention 'my dictionary'. Have you bookmarked the OneLook Dictionary Search?)

Rover

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It sounds informally OK to me. It's clear that the invitations ('invites' itself makes the sentence informal) are individually written and 'tailored' to each guest.

Here's just one of the dictionaries that confirms that 'bespoke' is in use in the modern world in relation to websites and computer software; it's not limited to clothing.

(You mention 'my dictionary'. Have you bookmarked the OneLook Dictionary Search?)

Rover

Cheers. I hadn't seen that website. I normally go to merriam webster.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that this is British. I had no idea what it meant (before looking it up).

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I knew what "bespoke" meant but only through my unparalleled erudition. I'd say it's not very common in the US; you're far more likely to see "tailored".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Surely they are your engagement party invites/invitations. You don't invite people to an engagement.
2. I find "bespoke" perfectly fine. However, I would probably change the word order somewhat, to "I have decided to order/buy/have bespoke engagement party invitations".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I knew what "bespoke" meant but only through my unparalleled erudition. I'd say it's not very common in the US; you're far more likely to see "tailored".

But "custom made" or "made-to-order" or similar for anything not clothing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But "custom made" or "made-to-order" or similar for anything not clothing.

Absolutely. In another part of my life, I run a business writing bespoke murder mysteries.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Looking for opinions on this sentence. To me it sounds very strange. From what my dictionary tells me, 'bespoke' is used in terms of custom made clothing...Is this usage incorrect?

I am very surprised by the definitions given here (BrE) and I wonder about the etymology. In AmE, this word is used rarely, but when it is used it is used as the past tense/past participle of bespeak, with a meaning of indicate/signal or foretell/portend. How convoluted English has become.

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
(Not a Teacher)

Unparalleled indeed! I'm not ashamed to admit it - I've never heard this word in my life. And I certainly wouldn't have guessed its correct meaning. :-D

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.