Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
When something falls from a high level and before reaching the ground hits something (like a tree stem) and its speed and hitting force is reduced.
It is an phrasal verb or idiom describing this that I forgot.
Can you help me.
Thank you.
hm_48

It was "slowed down". Its fall was "impeded".

Its fall was broken.

Raymott's is perfect. I have no idea why I didn't come up with it. :oops:

Hi
When something falls from a high level and before reaching the ground hits something (like a tree stem) and its speed and hitting force is reduced.
It is an phrasal verb or idiom describing this that I forgot.
Can you help me.
Thank you.
hm_48

There are many, a couple off the top of my head...

-to "break one's fall": "I was going to bash my head on the concrete but I used this kitten to break my fall."

-to "soften the blow": "That fall was really going to hurt, thankfully this cactus was here to soften the blow."

-edit Wow I didn't see someone had already said "break the fall". I guess that makes me "Captain Obvious".

Last edited:
There are many, a couple off the top of my head...

-to "break one's fall": "I was going to bash my head on the concrete but I used this kitten to break my fall."

-to "soften the blow": "That fall was really going to hurt, thankfully this cactus was here to soften the blow."

-edit Wow I didn't see someone had already said "break the fall". I guess that makes me "Captain Obvious".

I'm a bit concerned if the first thing that pops into your head is breaking your fall with a kitten! :shock:

And softening the blow with a cactus is also something to think about, what would hurt more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back