Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheers100

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I am reading an article from Reader Digest. It is about an interview with Sonia Sotomayer (SS) , who is the justice of Highest Court of the USA. Here's the snippet.

Journalist: You have to do an awful lot of reading and writing as part of your job. Are you an early riser?

SS: No, I am a New Yorker. [Laughs] Justice [Ruth Bader] Ginsburg is our night owl

- Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

- Is Sonia Sotomayer a household name in the USA?

Many thanks!

Hi,

I am reading an article from Reader Digest. It is about an interview with Sonia Sotomayer (SS) , who is the justice of Highest Court of the USA. Here's the snippet.

- Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

- Is Sonia Sotomayer a household name in the USA?

Many thanks!

Well, New Yorkers don't get up as early as farmers, but commuters in New York have to get up early.

I wouldn't say that Justice Sotomayor is particularly well known.

Well, New Yorkers don't get up as early as farmers, but commuters in New York have to get up early.

I wouldn't say that Justice Sotomayor is particularly well known.

As one of 9 justices on the Supreme Court, she's well known to anyone who follows politics. But that is a small subset of the population.

Sadly, most Americans can name more Kardashians than they can Supreme Court Justices.

I don't know what she meant by being a New Yorker, though. Perhaps the idea is that they are "night owls" and stay out late, so they are no up very early. But honestly, I don't get that reference.

Sadly, most Americans can name more Kardashians than they can Supreme Court Justices.

I don't know what she meant by being a New Yorker, though. Perhaps the idea is that they are "night owls" and stay out late, so they are no up very early. But honestly, I don't get that reference.

If she hadn't followed up with the comment about Ginsburg, I would not be sure what she was trying to say.

If she hadn't followed up with the comment about Ginsburg, I would not be sure what she was trying to say.

I find it very strange. She doesn't get up early and she's not a night owl like Justice Ginsburg; she's a New Yorker. Does this mean she never sleeps?

They do call New York the city that never sleeps.

But I think Mike's explanation is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back