Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Situation:

In a public area of computers, I am using a computer. I leave and make some copies temporarily. When I return, some people are approaching the computer, thinking that it is idle; so what tense would be used to tell them?:

-I was/am/have been using the computer.

I think they are all logical, but I am not sure whether there's one particularly natural and idiomatic.

Thank you. J.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Situation:

In a public area of computers, I am using a computer. I leave and make some copies temporarily. When I return, some people are approaching the computer, thinking that it is idle; so what tense would be used to tell them?:

-I was/am/have been using the computer.

I think they are all logical, but I am not sure whether there's one particularly natural and idiomatic.

Thank you. J.
In that context, they all work for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In a lot of places these days, those people would be met with an angry shout of "Oy! I'm on that one!" It's not polite but it gets the message across.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In a lot of places these days, those people would be met with an angry shout of "Oy! I'm on that one!" It's not polite but it gets the message across.

I am pretty sure you will not hear "Oy" in America.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As they haven't reached the computer, I would using I am using, but was using is also OK. As it's about who has the right to the computer, have been using doesn't work as well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.