Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:up:In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position,
some 25 degrees above the horizon, as will Halley's comet the next time it appears:tick:.

:?:Does it mean comet Crommelin? If so, it will appear should be used here but not it appears IMO.
My opinion is wrong? Why?

Sincere thaNks!!!

Last edited:
[STRIKE]:up:[/STRIKE]In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, as will Halley's comet the next time it appears:tick:.

[STRIKE]:?:[/STRIKE]Does it mean comet Crommelin? No, 'it' refers to Halley's Comet.
If so, will appear should be used here but not it appears IMO. No, this is wrong irrespective of which comet is being referred to.
My opinion is wrong? Why?
Your first opinion is wrong because a comparison is not made this way. You are assuming that it means, "Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance as it will next time it appears, as will Halley's comet." The original sentence is very unlikely to mean that, or it would be expressed differently.
Your second opinion is wrong because you're forgetting that the present tense, "the next time it appears" refers to the future.

Thanks!!! Now I can basically understand your explaination.
But I have another problem________can it appears be deleted from the original setence?
Because in my feel it appears seems redundant. Do you think so?

In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, as will Halley's comet the next time.

Is that the sentence you propose to make?

Because in my feel it appears seems redundant. Do you think so?
No, it isn't redundant. It doesn't sound right without it. I don't like "as will Halley's comet the next time".

In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, as will Halley's comet the next time.

Is that the sentence you propose to make?
Yes! To me, it appears is really not easy to unerstand, so I really want to delete the 2 words:).

But, as you were told, it is needed for understanding the sentence.

Halley's comment will appear in about the same position as Crommelin passes the Earth. Crommelin may well have appeared in a different position, and Halley's comment may actually pass the Earth in yet another position.

No, it isn't redundant. It doesn't sound right without it. I don't like "as will Halley's comet the next time".
In fact, after it appears are deleted, I;-) can also understand the original sentence:
When Halley's comet will approach the earth, it will pass the earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon as the comet Crommelin has.

In my eye, the meaning of the original sentence won't change, and the sentence becomes more laconic.

Last edited:
No, you can't. Halley's comet will not pass the Earth when it approaches it. It will approach the Earth, pass it, and then move away from the Earth..

Halley's comment will appear in about the same position as Crommelin passes the Earth. Crommelin may well have appeared in a different position, and Halley's comment may actually pass the Earth in yet another position.
Ah... ...difficult to understand... ...but I have understood your explaination:).
Yes! it appears here signify the future tense, only just the future tense( as Raymott said).

It seems that the grammar is flexible even becomes unimaginable in concrete contexts.

No, Raymott did not say that. 'it appears' is present tense. In temporal and conditional clauses referring to future time, we use the present-tense form of the verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back