Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
Colombia
hey! i am reading an article and it says "claw apart his favorite guitar". do you know what this means? thank you! :)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It is not an idiom, but a metaphor. I think the author intended us to understand that the guitarist was playing very energetically, very intensely, even wildly. It may also be a reference to the claw-hammer picking style of playing, but without more context we can't be sure.

This site is about using correct English, so please start each sentence with a capital letter.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:hi: Welcome, camilaoliveros.

As probus says, there are various possibilities. You'll find as you use this forum that good answers always need context. A fragment of a sentence, without even a verb, doesn't give potential responders much to go on! ;-)

b

Fulwild

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Very fast guitar playing especially in metal music is refered to as "shredding". To "Claw apart" would also be to shred. Related musical descriptors from jazz- let it rip, ripped it, blew it up, tore it apart.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It depends on the context, though. It might be more literal: In a drunken rage, he slugged his boss, smashed up his car, set his house on fire, and clawed apart his favorite guitar with his bare hands.

I've been playing guitar since 1968, and I've never heard playing, including shredding and claw-hammering, referred to as clawing apart a guitar. That doesn't mean that the suggestions above are wrong. It just means there might be other possibilities.

Without knowing more about what was said, we can't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.