Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I read somewhere that if you stress the verb in a question like the one below, it will sound more formal while if you don't stress it, the question will sound less formal. Is it so? (I coloured the stressed syllables blue)

Is Joseph a teacher? - more formal?
Is Joseph a teacher? - less formal?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't see a change in formality. There is a difference in stress on word syllables and stress on words. The stresses on the first syllables of Joseph and teacher are just a part of the words.

In a normal use, one could stress the word "Joseph" or the word "teacher". Usually, it would be "teacher". That is just asking for information.

If one stresses "Is" it suggests that the speaker has doubts about that.

Last edited:

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
And if stressing IS expresses doubt, can I ask "Is he a teacher?" in two different ways (with the verb IS 1) unstressed and 2) stressed)?

1) Is he an athlete? - simply asking for information
2) Is he an athlete? - doubting that he is an athlete

Am I right to say that in the following recording is is not stressed, so the sentence is neutral, it's just asking for information (like in number1))?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B72XkxRIV0-RMTg0NTd6Zi1VVXc/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I read somewhere that if you stress the verb in a question like the one below, it will sound more formal while if you don't stress it, the question will sound less formal. Is it so? (I coloured the stressed syllables blue)

Is Joseph a teacher? - more formal?
Is Joseph a teacher? - less formal?

If you stress is, it sounds to me that you're surprised or don't believe that Joseph is a teacher. It's not a question of formality but meaning to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.