Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi guys, I've heard the song Rhythm of the rain - Cascada and I saw the lyrics ".. For her to steal my heart away when she don't care .." Why don't they use "she doesn't" and is this a mistake in common English or just in the songs to suit the melodies, the same thing with the song "Story of my life - One Direction" the lyrics are "She told me in the morning she don't feel the same about us in her bones". Can somebody explain to me please. Thank you !
Sorry for my bad English as this is the first time I post a question :)

Thanks, I'm really glad to hear it :))
This website is also very useful.
:up:

[

This is one of my favorite songs -- sad, yet hopeful. Grammar in question is at :52.

--lotus

-

It is not just found in songs. Some people make this type of mistake.

It is not just found in songs. Some people make this type of mistake.

That's why some singers do it: to sound like the people who make those mistakes. Other singers do it because they ARE the people who make those mistakes.

A lot of singers and songwriters want to sound colloquial and down-to-earth - not wealthy, elitist, or high-brow. Using don't instead of doesn't is common working-class, non-standard usage - at least here in the U.S. (Some British singers try to sound like they're from the southern U.S.)

In this case, I suspect "don't" was used because it is one syllable and "doesn't" has two syllables. Two syllables would disrupt the meter of that line in the song. For many song writers, meter and rhyme trump grammar.

I totally agree.

--lotus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back