I just realized how bad my English is still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Using 'bad' as an adverb is very popular in movies.
This post is not an answer to the question you quoted and you did not state 'Not a teacher'.

I came close to deleting it.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This post is not an answer to the question you quoted and you did not state 'Not a teacher'.
I came close to deleting it.
I'm very sorry for that.
Pardon me, but is it OK if I include the line "NOT A TEACHER" in my signature. That would spare me the trouble of retyping it every time I post a comment.
Additionally, I did try to answer the question I quoted, or, strictly speaking, I did try to give my opinion on the question I quoted.
NOT A TEACHER.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...is it OK if I include the line "NOT A TEACHER" in my signature.
No. Posters are not expected to click on Member Info to find out your status.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
No. Posters are not expected to click on Member Info to find out your status.
No. They don't have to. Like in this comment of mine. I've just changed my signature.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would say 'remains', so you couldn't say no one would. "Despite an intensive few months of practice, my spoken Spanish remains as dismal as ever." But then, I often talk formally, usually with some irony which people sometimes don't get - not that I'm claiming that that sentence is overly formal.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
***NOT A TEACHER***

No. They don't have to. Like in this comment of mine. I've just changed my signature.

I think the problem is that signature is not easy to notice and many members don't look at the signature.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think the problem is that signature is not easy to notice and many members don't look at the signature.
NOT A TEACHER
Well, I guess I'll still keep that line as a backup in case I forget to include it in my post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As per your request in your signature line, I would like to notify you that you have made a mistake ... in your signature line!

You should say "Please notify me of any mistakes ...". Also "Much appreciated" is not a full sentence (even though you will see it a lot). I recommend that you write "It is much appreciated" or "I will be very grateful".

The problem with using "Not a teacher" in the signature line is that there is an option when setting up an account to "Hide signature lines". This doesn't mean choosing to hide your own. It means choosing to hide everyone else's signature line. Anyone who has made that choice will not see your signature line.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
You're right, emsr2d2. Now I think I'd better delete "NOT A TEACHER" from my signature and keep it in my every post.
NOT A TEACHER

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
khanhhung2512 is the OP of this thread, I don't understand why s/he has to state 'NOT A TEACHER' here.

Not a teacher.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
khanhhung2512 is the OP of this thread, I don't understand why s/he has to state 'NOT A TEACHER' here.
Not a teacher.
NOT A TEACHER
I think people don't need to put that line in the original posts, but must keep that line in all other posts. Other learners may not remember who the OP is and assume any posts without "NOT A TEACHER" to be correct and reliable.
Incidentally, how can I change the title of thread to be grammatical? I mean replacing 'is still' by 'still is'.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Although it is possible for a moderator to change the title, it would be a very bad idea in this case. The whole thread was based on the word order so if you change the title, you would negate the entire question. Moderators change titles when the title was completely irrelevant (ie "Please help me" or "Please correct these sentences" etc) but it is always best to amend a thread title before there are too many replies. After four pages of comments, it would be completely unacceptable to change it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If someone said 'My English remains bad', s/he would probably not be a native speaker. If the speaker is not a native, will it be possible that s/he would say something understandable but unimaginable to you?

Oh yes! Suppose it is a work situation. You already have a pretty good idea what the subject matter is. Another example might be that a person holds a map and points to it. You know he or she is asking for directions. So, the answer is: "It depends."

(I have found a new phrase to be in love with. ;-))

:)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I take your point, Matthew. By post #19 I had lost sight of the fact that khanhhung was the OP.

However, he/she did not address the post of yours which was quoted, and for the reason khanhhung gives below, adding the phrase is a good thing.

NOT A TEACHER
I think people don't need to put that line in the original posts, but must keep that line in all other posts. Other learners may not remember who the OP is and assume any posts without "NOT A TEACHER" to be correct and reliable.
That's a very good point, khanhhung. As you say, you don't need to put it in the post which asks a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.