Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello!

I find in a grammar book an activity for reported speech which consists in spotting a mistake in a sentence and proposing the correct version of it. The sentence in question is:

"Our teacher said to us that the test was quite easy." The key shows as the right answer: "Our teacher told us that the test was quite easy."
I don't quite understand why "said to us" is wrong. Could you help me with this?

Thanks and best regards.

Julia

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
NOT A TEACHER
Both sentences are correct. I'm pretty sure your grammar book made a mistake. Which grammar book did you use?

juliaines

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thanks! I supposed so. The book is Grammar Way 2 by Dooley and Evans.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
NOT A TEACHER
I've checked your book. That's definitely a mistake. My only guess is that the authors meant to write the question sentence without "to", but ended up writing the correct one.
Happy studying!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The version with told is much more natural to me.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Julia:

I just thought that you might like this information from a famous book that is used by teachers and advanced students throughout the world.

1. The four scholars say that the following is direct speech (my emphases):

David said to me after the meeting, "In my opinion, the arguments in favor of radical changes in the curriculum are not convincing."

2. The four scholars say that the following is indirect speech (my emphases):

"David said to me after the meeting that in his opinion the arguments in favor of radical changes in the curriculum were not convincing."

3. The four scholars say that the following is also indirect speech. They point out that it is a paraphrase (that is to say, one uses different words to express the same idea). (My emphases)

"David told me after the meeting that he remained opposed to any radical changes in the curriculum."

James

Source: Randolph Quirk et. al, A COMPREHENSIVE GRAMMAR OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE (1985 edition), page 1021.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.