Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Netherlands
Watching TV series has helped me a lot in learning English. I find it particularly useful for me to practice listening and speaking. In several of my English classes when I was still in school, my teacher also used TV series for listening exercises. My favorite show is Friends.

What I normally do is to first watch an episode, so that I know more or less the storyline, then I took out the script and go through it sentence by sentence till I understand more or less everything. Then I'll watch the episode and try to think of the lines I've learned. I'll imagine I'm one of the characters and think what I'd say in a situation. If I can't think of a good sentence, I'll go back to the script and check how it's said. It's a good way to practice speaking for me.

I've gathered the scripts of some episodes. Maybe you know the show already, if so it's even better. You can learn the scripts without getting distracted by the show itself. This is the very first episode.

Anyways, I hope you can find it useful :).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I used to watch Friends regularly. (I clicked on that link, but nothing happened. :-()

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am sorry, but I have removed the link. I am afraid that a script like this would be in infringement of copyright, so we cannot have it on the forum. Copyright laws are strict in the UK, where this site is hosted.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, Emma:

Before I retired, I never had time to watch it.

Now that I'm retired, I have time to watch reruns of "Friends." It is absolutely hilarious!

I hear that it's very popular in many countries.

But I am guessing that it is impossible for a non-American to truly understand certain nuances, gestures, and allusions.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.