English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear teachers and members:

Is it possible to use ''worthy of'' followed by a noun in its gerund form as below?

a) Someone who performs good deeds is worthy of being admired.

Kind regards.

Last edited:
Yes.

'...is worthy of admiration' would be an improvement.

Is it possible to use ''worthy of'' followed by a noun in its gerund form as below?

a) Someone who performs good deeds is worthy of being admired.

My kindly regards.

[Not a teacher]

Is "being" (or "being admired") a noun?

You mean a verb.

No, Jose. "Being" is not a verb there. It is a gerund (noun).

"Being admired" is a prepositional object. How could it not be a noun?

The -ing form after a preposition is a gerund.

Yes, a gerund noun.

Well, to be precise, I would call it a gerund phrase, but you are correct.

'Being' should be a verb, the present participle, in 'Being admired, he became proud'.

Not a teacher.

In that use, "being" is a present participle, but it is not a verb; it is a verbal used as a modifier.

Thank you Rover_KE

I would also like to know if ''being admired'' is grammatically correct with the phrase ''be worthy of''

Yes. As Rover told you, "be worthy of being admired" is OK, but "be worthy of admiration" is better.

Not a teacher.

I believe "nominal" is a better term to describe the function of gerunds.

In fact, a nominal is any word, phrase, or clause that performs the same function as a noun.

Examples of nominals are nouns, pronouns, gerunds, infinitives that are used as nominals, and nominal clauses.

I believe it is not appropriate to refer to gerunds as nouns even though they share the same function, because they have different forms and belong to different categories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vinko, you have to state 'Not a teacher' in your answers as your member type is 'Student or Learner'; it is a forum rule here.

Not a teacher.

I disagree. A "nominal" is not a standard part of speech. I like to deal with parts of speech so we are all on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back