Does "kindly" as "please" sound out of place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi, I'd like to know the opinion of native people -but everybody please feel free to chip in- regarding the use of "kindly" as a polite alternative to "please".

First of all, I've only seen it in British English but what I want to point out is that I've never encountered a native person using it. Because of my work, sometimes I receive e-mails from people from China, Pakistan, India, etc. Even though I'm a learner, I can tell they aren't native and they love using "kindly" in this fashion.

I know that is perfectly alright, it's correct English, maybe a bit old fashioned or something but correct nonetheless. What I'd like to know is if it comes across as too formal or out of place.

Thank you!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I use kindly in that way all the time but only in business correspondence. I'm a native speaker of AmE but I'm pretty old, so it may be old-fashioned.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It exists in BrE. I use it, though not often. I am over fifty and it may sound dated to younger people.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's not so uncommon in Canada, either.

datalia56

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello!
Could you guys give my an example of using "kindly" and "please"?
I am usually confused about using vocabulary when I write.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hardly even use "kindly". Most of the time, the issue has nothing to do with "kindness".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello!
Could you guys give my an example of using "kindly" and "please"?
I am usually confused about using vocabulary when I write.
Thanks in advance.

You can't go wrong if you use "please" every time.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I tend to use 'kindly' for a change if I've already used 'please' a couple of times in a letter.

Auldlangsyne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
I often use “most kind of you”, but noticed that often (very often) people give me a strange look when I say that. They are far more likely to answer “you are welcome/you are very welcome” to my “thank you”, and never to my “most kind of you” - not that I expect that, but it puzzles me.

:roll:

Prof.Alan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Kindly definitely sounds old fashioned or out of place for me. I don't recommend using it if you want to sound normal. (At least in AmE)

Auldlangsyne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Kindly definitely sounds old fashioned or out of place for me. I don't recommend using it if you want to sound normal. (At least in AmE)

I am old-fashioned, indeed.
I am thinking now, how to define normality. You didn’t mean not normal as a bit weird, did you? Just different it terms of the vocabulary used? In my home country not normal means mentally disabled. I wonder if this the case in either AmE or BrE.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Once upon a time, people with some kind of mental deficiency would have been called "not normal" or "abnormal" in BrE. That usage is very much frowned upon now. The usual phrase is something like "a person with learning difficulties" or something similar.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Auldlangsyne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Once upon a time, people with some kind of mental deficiency would have been called "not normal" or "abnormal" in BrE. That usage is very much frowned upon now. The usual phrase is something like "a person with learning difficulties" or something similar.

I know that, emsr2d2, I know, and the intention was there. I just sometimes tend to forget to choose most appropriate words to convey information. But good job you pointed it out.

For those who wish to learn more of those expressions, here are some dos and don’ts:

Guidance (gov.uk) –Inclusive language: words to use and avoid when writing about disability.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inclusive-communication/inclusive-language-words-to-use-and-avoid-when-writing-about-disability--2

Giant

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I don't think it makes a big difference as we often use 'kindly' in place of 'please' even in our official and formal conversation.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Giant, please read the following extract from the Forum Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as ....

Dear Rover,

May I please have a clarification.

I had always thought that we non-teacher members had to preface our posts with a disclaimer only in the "Ask a Teacher" forum.

Is a disclaimer also necessary in all the other forums, including this "General Language Discussions" forum?

Thank you,

James

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I had always thought that we non-teacher members had to preface our posts with a disclaimer only in the "Ask a Teacher" forum.

Is a disclaimer also necessary in all the other forums, including this "General Language Discussions" forum?
No, it isn't. I had been working in 'Ask a Teacher' for a long time and forgot that I had moved over to 'General Language Discussions'.

Please/Kindly accept my apologies.:oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.