How many vowel phonemes are there in English pronunciation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
How many vowel phonemes you think are there now in standard (RP or General American ) English pronunciation?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Dictionaries often use their own systems.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited:

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, Taiwan! Thanks for the link. I looked at it. What are you wondering? What trend do you mean? How important is the number?

Hi, Charlie!

The Americans are merging, or have merged, the pronunciations of letters a as in abut, u as in abut and e as in kitten into one same phoneme. So Obama said to Elizabeth that her mother was late for the bus.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, Charlie!

The Americans are merging, or have merged, the pronunciations of letters a as in abut, u as in abut and e as in kitten into one same phoneme. So Obama said to Elizabeth that her mother was late for the bus.

Oh!

Not kitten. That's a schwa before the n. What we say is more like kitt'n,* not at all like kittuhn. The other three, yes. It's an uh sound in all of them.

That's not new. I'm 63, and I can't remember it ever being any other way. (And I should know! I'm an Uh-merican!)

* Actually, we tend to swallow the T sound somewhat when it's in the middle of a word, so kitten is almost ki'n, with a sort of catch or hiccup where the T should be. In many words, we pronounce a T like a D. For instance, in American English, metal and medal are pronounced the same, and city rhymes with giddy.

Though the British can be as sloppy with English as anyone (after all, they invented it!), they tend to be much more precise with their T's. Their bottles are never boddles!

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
British "bottles" can be Bah uls. Be careful with generalizations.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd write it as /bɒʔəlz/ or /bɔʔəlz/. That is, forgetting about the glottal stop, the 'o' is not an /ah/ from my experience; but a proper English 'o' (as in 'stop') or a non-rhotic 'or'.

For me, it's Americans who use /ah/ for 'o', as in 'Stahp, or ah'll shoot!'. (OK, I got that from movies; I don't know if your authorities still give warnings). ;-)

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
You might get a warning if you're white.

Getting back to the point, even the laziest Estuary English speaker still pronounces the 'o' in /bɒʔəlz/.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
British "bottles" can be Bah uls. Be careful with generalizations.

Yup. Thanks for clarifying. I've learned that we talk in generalizations here unless we specifically say we're talking about a particular place, case, or group of people. (And I'm trying to remember to state clearly that I speak American English whenever it might make a difference.)

I've heard that English pronunciation of bottle you're describing too. It's sort of like the mid-Connecticut swallowed T. Standard British English, which is what I was talking about, hits the T hard: bottle. So do old-money Americans - as discussed in detail in the movie Six Degrees of Separation.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For me, it's Americans who use /ah/ for 'o', as in 'Stahp, or ah'll shoot!'.

Absolutely. I was just talking about the T. I wasn't getting into how the O in bottle is pronounced.

Stahp is standard American. Although I often pronounce I the way you have it, ah, that's because I learned to talk in the U.S. midwest. For instance, I say "Ah'm sorry" but "I don't know." You're right, many Americans say "Ah don't know." And many American's say "I'm sorry."

So I lean toward thinking that the long I is "standard." Ah'm not sure, though!

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
British colonies in America rebelled, separated, developed, and changed the English language.
So Obama said to Elizabeth that her aunt was robbed in the center of the new borough.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
British colonies in America rebelled, separated, developed, and changed the English language.
So Obama said to Elizabeth that her aunt was robbed in the center of the new borough.

?

Hm. Yes to O-bah-ma and rahbbed, no to the rest. (Many Americans do say ahnt. It's not wrong, but it's not the usual. Most Americans say it like ant.)

You're on the right track, though!

Last edited:

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
As far as I have seen, contemporary general American English has been merging four vowel sounds into schwa, namely: u as in bus, i(r) as in bird, e(r) as in paper, and a as in abut; schwa can be a stressed or unstressed vowel. Thus, the number of English vowel phonemes has been decreasing in the USA.
See http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bus

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I disagree. The "u" is bus is a normal short u. The "i" in bird is not a schwa. I don't see the "e" in paper as a schwa; it is pronounced the same as the "e" in per. You could call the "a" in abut a schwa, but I wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.