Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I guess you could include in your phrasal verb list the phrasal verb
To whisk off. I guess it means to brush or to wipe lightly.
Guilherme

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The only use I know of "whisk off" is when someone takes someone else away on a (sometimes surprise) holiday.

Sue: What are you doing for Jane's birthday?
John: I'm whisking her off to Venice for a long weekend.
Sue: Wow, lucky girl!

It has absolutely nothing to do with brushing or wiping. Where did you get the idea that that was the meaning?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only use I know of "whisk off" is when someone takes someone else away on a (sometimes surprise) holiday.

Sue: What are you doing for Jane's birthday?
John: I'm whisking her off to Venice for a long weekend.
Sue: Wow, lucky girl!

It has absolutely nothing to do with brushing or wiping. Where did you get the idea that that was the meaning?

I have heard both definitions - in fact a 'whisk broom' is a commonly used (at least where I live) term for a small hand-held brush/broom.

So, you might whisk the crumbs off your shirt for example, as well as whisking someone off for a trip.

Edit: Although to clarify, when you whisk something off, it typically means a brushing/swiping motion with your hands/fingertips, not actually using said whisk broom.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yup. Or whisk away. It's also a noun - the tool cooks use to whisk eggs and sauces.

It might just be American usage.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks- I will add both to the list.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, in BrE we don't use "to whisk off" or "to whisk away" to mean anything to do with brushing. I've never heard of a whisk broom but, of course, as a kitchen implement, a whisk is the utensil used to whisk eggs, sauces etc.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK, in BrE we don't use "to whisk off" or "to whisk away" to mean anything to do with brushing. I've never heard of a whisk broom but, of course, as a kitchen implement, a whisk is the utensil used to whisk eggs, sauces etc.

emsr2d2, just out of curiosity, does BrE have a particular name for a small broom such as these?

I always enjoy learning new Anglicisms. Probably my favorite was when an attractive English coworker asked our boss in front of everyone if she could borrow his rubber .... which of course in AmE is something altogether different from what we call an eraser.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Those are brooms for me. Mind you, we don't use those much.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do agree that in the U.S. we don't usually use it interchangeably with brush. But it would be understood.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
(Not a Teacher. BrE first language speaker)

The only time I've heard it in this context would be in references to African leaders who used to use fly whisks as symbols of authority. They might use one to whisk off a fly which had landed on their shoulder. I'm not sure if they are used at all today and "whisk off" is not a phrase I would use other than romantically as mentioned by emsr2d2.

Status
Not open for further replies.