Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That seems so strange to me.
This may be a case where the dictionary gives a "true" definition but it seems off to native speakers.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Gestured" there means that it was done with non-verbal communication, usually a hand gesture.

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"Gestured" there means that it was done with non-verbal communication, usually a hand gesture.

I'm not a teacher and not a native speaker.

I agree. It is a non-verbal communication. Deaf people gesture to understand each other. In this sense what is a difference between "I was told" and "I was gestured"? Both verbs, "told" and "gestured", are used in passive in my examples and that is a test to confirm that they are transitive. I agree that "I was gestured" may be off for the native ear, but the question is: is it ungrammatical?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say it is grammatical, but it is so unusual, I could not recommend it.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Can it also mean "show" or "point"? Because "show" and "point" can also be nonverbal.

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Can it also mean "show" or "point"? Because "show" and "point" can also be nonverbal.

I'm not a teacher.

If you point or show something by using your hand, fingers or eyes you gesture. You are engaged in a sort of finger-pointing.

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (English-Chinese) 4th Edition (paper version), which does not have the following example either.
"He gestured me over with the movement of his head." (From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English - New Edition.)
I suspect your New Edition is actually an old version, but I am not a teacher.

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (English-Chinese) 4th Edition (paper version), which does not have the following example either.

I suspect your new version is actually an old version, but I am not a teacher.

As I've told you: you need that edition with the Professor Randolph Quirk's preface. It may be an older version but is absolutely priceless for me.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In my 4th edition, there is a foreword (instead of preface) written by Randolph Quirk.
I also had your New Edition years ago, but I dumped it when I bought a later version.
I think the example quoted from your old version might be outdated, but I am not a teacher.

Last edited:

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In my 4th edition, there is a foreword (instead of preface) written by Randolph Quirk.
I also had your New Edition years ago, but I dumped it when I bought a later version.
I think the example quoted from your old version might be outdated, but I am not a teacher.

I'm not a teacher.

In my opinion, it was wrong on your part to ditch that old version. Sometimes the grammar and especially syntax terminology can be so foggy so it is very useful to have older versions of dictionaries and grammar books handy.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's agree that "gestured me to a seat" (or whatever it said) and expecting "me" to be a direct object is not current usage.

"He gestured his displeasure" (as Mike said, with a rude hand gesture, most likely) does work.

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

I suspect your New Edition is actually an old version, but I am not a teacher.

Hi Matthew,

I've forgotten to mention that my dictionary is an English-English one.

(I'm not a teacher.)

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Let's agree that "gestured me to a seat" (or whatever it said) and expecting "me" to be a direct object is not current usage.
I think it would be current usage if 'motioned/beckoned' were used instead of 'gestured', but I am not a teacher.

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

"He gestured his displeasure" (as Mike said, with a rude hand gesture, most likely) does work.

Just out of curiosity: what is not in current usage? Is it "me" not to be considered as an object or is it the whole phrase objectionable?

I've Google'ed-out many clauses with "he gestured me to" that are still alive and kicking in English writing.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think 'to gesture + someone (as a direct object)' is not current usage, and that's why it has been excluded from the latest version, but I am not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.