[Grammar] Meaning of "just sit for a beat"? What, I'm gonna be fifty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello,

I have a question from a conversation between a boyfriend and his girlfriend.

Boy: All I'm saying is to just sit for a beat and make sure this is something you
want to do.
Girl: Why don't I "just sit for a beat"? What, I'm gonna be fifty? Or if I just sit
around, hanging around, doing the same thing, working with the same people?

I'm not sure about what the girl says particularly "Why don't I "just sit for a beat"?
What, I'm gonna be fifty?" part.

I wonder if she means "It's not like I'm going to be fifty, so I don't have to sit for a while," or
"If I sit for a while, I'll soon be fifty"?

Here's a background of this conversation: The girlfriend is excited and telling him that she might have a chance to get promotion, but she would have to move to another country that is very far away. The boyfriend is trying to convince and reason her. Both of them are in their 30's.

Could you please tell me what she means?

Thank you very much in advance.
Tara

Last edited by a moderator:
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am not a teacher

To me it sounds like girl exclaimed why don't I sit for a beat!

The girl seems to be very annoyed at his boyfriend's response and she is trying to tell him that sitting around for a beat would not make her wiser enough to change her decision or understand his point of view.

But I am not a teacher.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For me, it appears that she was offended by the suggestion that she sit -- as if she were old and tired (not that 50 is old!).

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Boy: All I'm saying is to just sit for a bit and make sure this is something you
want to do.

I think it's "just sit for bit". It means for her to just wait for a while and think about it carefully.

--lotus

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's true, Lotus, But for me, it does not explain the girl's reaction.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My guess is that she doesn't want to miss this opportunity, and his suggestion that she wait for even a moment means she'll lose this chance. And if she doesn't take this chance, will she be offered another? So his "take a pause" sounds to her like "give up on moving forward with her career."

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you very much for your kind suggestions. Yes, I understand she is afraid of losing the opportunity, and she is irritated with his boyfriend's words because he doesn't seem to support her at all.

But my question is what she is actually saying.
To be more specific, a professional translator interpreted her line as:
"If I sit for a beat, I'll soon be fifty. What would happen if I continue working like this? I hate my job!
I hate my life!"
I wonder if it's a correct translation. I'd appreciate if you could tell me if the translation is correct or not.

I thought it would mean, " 'Just sit for a beat?' Do I look like old to need sit for a beat? Do you think I should continue working like this, and end up hating my job and life?"

Thank you very much,
Tara

Last edited:

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"To be more specific, a professional translator interpreted her line as "If I sit for a beat, I'll soon be fifty. What would happen if I continue working like this? I hate my job! I hate my life!""

It seems to me that something is lost in translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.