Pleasure was mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinha

If I thank someone for something and the person answer:
" Pleasure was mine !! " does it mean only " you´re welcome" ?
Does it have any special meaning ?

Thanks!

It means there is no need to thank me I enjoyed giving you a present.

There is an old adage; 'tis better to give than to receive'

Thanks!

Since you're from Brasil, dinha, you may find it interesting that in some dialects people say 'Much obliged' to mean 'thank you'.

[Note for non-Portuguese speakers: 'obliged' here = obrigado.]

b

PPS - [Back on topic]
People usually say 'The pleasure is mine' in response to someone else mentioning 'pleasure'.

'It's been a great pleasure, meeting you at last.'
'The pleasure is [or was] ['all'] mine.'

Last edited:
Since you're from Brasil, dinha, you may find it interesting that in some dialects people say 'Much obliged' to mean 'thank you'.
[Note for non-Portuguese speakers: 'obliged' here = obrigado.]
b

PS - 'In some dialects' makes it sound rather obscure. It's not. My father used that expression (and so do I sometimes)

b

Thanks!

Normally we say "the pleasure was (all) mine".

In Spanish they say, de Nada.

:)

awwwwwww!! what do you mean ?;-)

:oops: Well I thought it was short for obrigadinha (which is maybe not that common in Brasil, but I've heard it a lot in Portugal). Ah well - another promising guess...

b

:oops: Well I thought it was short for obrigadinha (which is maybe not that common in Brasil, but I've heard it a lot in Portugal). Ah well - another promising guess...

b

hehehe, it is not common in Brasil , sometimes we say brigadinha ( women )or brigadinho ( man ) can I ask you a question ? Is there any difference when a couple´s names appear like :

Dr John Doe and Mrs Susan Doe / Dr and Mrs John Doe

Is there any difference in meaning ? like they are not a couple anymore? and if they are not which way says it ? Or there are no difference at all? Their names appeared as donnors and appeared as Dr John Doe and Mrs Susan Doe

( what did you mean by: Ah well - another promising guess...)

Thanks!

To me, it doesn't imply that they're no longer a couple. I find the use of 'Mrs John Doe' rather strange, so I would either say them separately, or omit the first names. ;-)

To me, it doesn't imply that they're no longer a couple. I find the use of 'Mrs John Doe' rather strange, so I would either say them separately, or omit the first names. ;-)

We use that in the US (with a period after "Mrs").

I'm sure people in the UK would too- I was expressing a personal choice there. No need for the period in BrE. ;-)

I'm sure people in the UK would too- I was expressing a personal choice there. No need for the period in BrE. ;-)

I can understand Mrs. John Brown more than Mrs. Mary Brown.

That sounds rather old-fashioned to me. ;-)

hehehe, it is not common in Brasil , sometimes we say brigadinha ( women )or brigadinho ( man ) can I ask you a question ? Is there any difference when a couple´s names appear like :

Dr John Doe and Mrs Susan Doe / Dr and Mrs John Doe

Is there any difference in meaning ? like they are not a couple anymore? and if they are not which way says it ? Or there are no difference at all? Their names appeared as donnors and appeared as Dr John Doe and Mrs Susan Doe

( what did you mean by: Ah well - another promising guess...)

Thanks!

If it's in a list of donors (one N), I'd think that the second one meant there was one donation - in the names of husband and wife, and that the first one suggested there were two donations - each from a personal account.

But this is only a guess. Speakers of BE used to follow the formula preferred by Mike, but the other formula - as Tdol said - is more common now; in fact, women who insist on being called 'Ms' resist it quite vocally. So, while this usage is in a state of flux, the message I get is as I've said.

b

PS -
The phrase 'another promising guess...' isn't an idiom. I was just reflecting on the fact that I had made what I thought was a good guess and that it had turned out wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back