What's the meaning of "rock"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudia220962

Member Type
Other
I've heard the word "rock" used as a verb, but cannot understand the meaning of it, as in the following phrase: "Peter, you rock!". Can anyone help me???:) :oops: :)

Last edited:
I've heard the word "rock" used as a verb, but cannot understand the meaning of it, as in the following phrase: "Peter, you rock!". Can anyone help me???:) :oops: :)

This is a quite informal (though increasingly common) usage - especially on the Internet. If something 'rocks' it's good; if something's bad, it 'sucks'.

(I'm assuming that you're talking about the verb 'rock'. "Peter, you rock" could also use 'rock' as a noun: "Peter, you dependable person". "Peter" is a very appropriate name, in fact - it's a biblical pun: "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church."/Tu es Petrus, et super hanc petrum aedificabo ecclesiam meam.)

b

Yeah so if my best friend said that:" you rock". Is it good or bad? Can you tell me? Thanks.

It's very good :up: . The friend is expressing extreme admiration in a personal way - saying you're very good, and they value you for it.

b

I think terhi's 'is' was /is/ rather than /iz/, which makes it more understandable - still not right though! ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back