Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello! I was surprised to find that the word bluff has two very different, almost opposite meanings: to deceive (verb) or deception (noun) and to be too direct and honest (adjective) (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/bluff). We also have this word in Russian (we pronounce it almost like /blef/), but it only means deception.

I'd like to clarify one thing: does bluff always mean to be too direct and honest when it functions as an adjective? Are a bluff man and a man of bluff always different in meaning, and if I want to describe a man who often bluffs, only the latter works?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd like to clarify one thing: does bluff always mean to be too direct and honest when it functions as an adjective? Are a bluff man and a man of bluff [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] always different in meaning, and if I want to describe a man who often bluffs, only the latter works?
"A man of bluff" is not possible. "Bluff" as an adjective is rarely used, at least in American English. People who use rare words should be careful to use them correctly, but it's not unusual for them to get mixed up.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"A man of bluff" is not possible. "Bluff" as an adjective is rarely used, at least in American English. People who use rare words should be careful to use them correctly, but it's not unusual for them to get mixed up.

Thank you! I deleted the extra "are" just before you replied.

Last edited:

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see. I came up with this by analogy with "a man of his word" or "a man of honor."
Those phrases both end in a noun or a noun phrase. Perhaps more importantly, they're both semi-fixed phrases. If you wanted to follow that model, you'd have to write a man of bluffness. You'd be inventing an expression, though, which your readers would be very likely not to understand.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Those phrases both end in a noun or a noun phrase.

I used it as a noun because The Cambridge Dictionary allows this: it says "bluff" can function as a verb, noun or adjective. I've also found the expression "a game of bluff" (https://ludwig.guru/s/a+game+of+bluff). But if you as a native English speaker say "a man of bluff" sounds senseless or unnatural, I won't use it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you noted, the meaning of "bluff" as a noun is very different from its meaning as an adjective. The rare adjective "bluff" doesn't generally have a noun form, though I suppose "bluffness" may have been used here or there.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you noted, the meaning of "bluff" as a noun is very different from its meaning as an adjective. The rare adjective "bluff" doesn't generally have a noun form, though I suppose "bluffness" may have been used here or there.
You're being generous. It would probably just be an invented word.

So, as you say, it would be better not to use it — unless Alexey wants to call your bluff!

(Alexey, you can Google the definition of call someone's bluff.)

Status
Not open for further replies.