a designation of material for mailing or shipping as defined by the United States Postal Service

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Bound printed matter refers to a designation of material for mailing or shipping as defined by the United States Postal Service (USPS).

Source: https://bizfluent.com/about-6574134-bound-printed-matter-.html

1. What's the grammatical construction of the bold part?
2. What does "as defined by the United States Postal Service" modify?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The USPS is responsible for the official definition. "Bound printed matter" is anything that fits the definition of "material for mailing or shipping".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Bound printed matter" is anything that fits the definition of "material for mailing or shipping".

I don't think that's what it means.

I think it means that 'bound printed matter' has a certain working definition, as far as the USPS is concerned. The definition is something like 'permanently bound paper with printed information on the pages'. If material fits that definition, it's then designated as 'bound printed matter'.

Why did you post in this forum, GoldfishLord? Are you trying to understand the meaning or are you looking for a syntactic analysis?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Why did you post in this forum, GoldfishLord? Are you trying to understand the meaning or are you looking for a syntactic analysis?
I'm looking for a syntatic analysis.