Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use "the" before "rush hour" in all three sentences and should it be "a group of people is commuting to work" or "a group of people commuting to work"?

"Rush hour means that a group of people is commuting to work. In my town the rush hour is at 8-9 in the morning and 6-7 in the evening. I don't think because streets are congested it's becoming meaningless. Rush hour exists anyway."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I wouldn't use the.
Are both "a group of people is commuting to work" and "a group of people commuting to work" correct and should I use a comma after "congested" I don't think because streets are congested(,) it's becoming meaningless?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Are both "a group of people is commuting to work" and "a group of people commuting to work" correct
The first is correct though, like many speakers of BrE, I would say 'are commuting'.
The second does not work.
I don't think because streets are congested(,) it's becoming meaningless?
I don't really understand what you are trying to say here.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The first is correct though, like many speakers of BrE, I would say 'are commuting'.
The second does not work.

I don't really understand what you are trying to say here.
Do you mean "a group of people is commuting to work" is wrong and "a group of people, children, etc takes a plural verb? So it should be " a group of people are commuting".

The second part which wasn't clear was from here "I don't think because streets are congested(,) it's=rush hour becoming meaningless. Rush hour exists(,) anyway." Should I add a comma after "congested" and before "anyway"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do you mean "a group of people is commuting to work" is wrong
I wrote that it was correct.
and "a group of people, children, etc takes a plural verb? So it should be " a group of people are commuting".
I wrote that I, a speaker of BrE, would use a plural verb. I did not say that it 'should be' plural.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I wrote that it was correct.

I wrote that I, a speaker of BrE, would use a plural verb. I did not say that it 'should be' plural.
Thanks. I didn't understand at first. Could you tell me if the commas are required? "I don't think because streets are congested(,) it's=rush hour becoming meaningless. Rush hour exists(,) anyway."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rush hour is the time of day when the streets are congested because people are either going to work or leaving work to go home. I don't know how "a group of people" fits there. It's not a group of people. It's a mass of individuals.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Rush hour is the time of day when the streets are congested because people are either going to work or leaving work to go home. I don't know how "a group of people" fits there. It's not a group of people. It's a mass of individuals.
I think it was mentioned in the book.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Could you perhaps answer my question? I tend to use commas in the same way as they are used in my language. They would be put differently in those sentences, though.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it was mentioned in the book.
What book? This is the first we’re hearing that your quote was from a book, whose title and author should have been cited in post #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.