Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I searched "gun grab" and only found "grab gun" or "gun grabbing" which reminds me of "taking your gun."

What does "gun grab" exactly mean? Considering "revoking", it seems to mean that police can forfeit your gun if you are not permitted to carry guns with you to public places. Well, I am not sure.

--------------
Trump Signs Bill Protecting Due Process Rights of SSA Recipients

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2017

Fairfax, Va.-- The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) applauded President Donald Trump today for signing H.J. Res. 40, revoking a last-minute gun grab issued at the end of the Obama administration.

Source

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far as I can tell from this article, Obama's administration brought in a bill which stopped people who are receiving Social Security Disability treatment on the basis of a mental health issue from owning a gun. The new administration has overturned (revoked) that bill.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Gun grabbers" are those who desire more and more gun control, with the end game of confiscation.

The Obama administration issued forth a "rule," a regulation from an administrative agency. These agencies operate under a delegation of authority from the Congress. Congress has the power to step in and abrogate any regulations made by any agency within 60 days of the rule coming into effect.

Congress did exactly that. This is not an action taken by the Trump administration, though they certainly approve.

This rule would have prevented Americans from buying guns if they were on Social Security (the elderly) and had someone helping with their finances. The need for help with finances would have been deemed to be a dangerous mental illness which necessitated the stripping of a Constitutional right, without any type of hearing or adjudication.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gun is an adjective there: What kind of grab? A gun grab.

By the way, I think you meant confiscate, not forfeit. When the police confiscate guns, gun owners forfeit guns.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've read through the article. The meaning of "gun grab" is clear.

But grammatically speaking, does "gun grab" literally mean "(the government can legally) grab/confiscate the gun (away from the hand of the dangerously mentally ill)"?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've read through the article. The meaning of "gun grab" is clear.

But grammatically speaking, does "gun grab" literally mean "(the government can legally) grab/confiscate the gun (away from the hand of the dangerously mentally ill)"?

I haven't read the article. But when mentally ill people brandish guns, police often just shoot them.

I'll look at the article, then come back here.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Gun is an adjective there: What kind of grab? A gun grab.

By the way, I think you meant confiscate, not forfeit. When the police confiscate guns, gun owners forfeit guns.

Got it!

Does "last-minute" refer to Obama's last-minute effort to enact the rule (before leaving the Oval Office?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh! It's an NRA article! The NRA (National Rifle Association) is a powerful organization that speaks for gun manufacturers, dealers, and owners. It fights anything that might reduce the number of guns in American homes, businesses, and public places. The NRA supports and encourages gun ownership and helps pro-gun politicians get elected.

The so-called "gun grab" is an Obama-era law that makes it harder for dangerously mentally ill people to own guns.

You're reading the word grab too literally.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.