Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As I read today's headline of nature magazine, the title "Chelsea Clinton urges global sharing of COVID vaccine technology" leads me to take a careful look at the photo of Chelsea - "Good Heavens! It is a perfect mix of Hillary and Clinton," I cried silently.

The question of this thread is whether the word "mix" is used properly with a respectful or neutral intention. It seems to me that either "mix" or "combination" conveys a bit sense of negativeness. If so, what is a respectful way to express my idea?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I read the latest issue of Nature magazine, the headline "Chelsea Clinton urges global sharing of COVID vaccine technology" led me to take a careful look at the photo of Chelsea - "Good Heavens! It is a perfect mix of Hillary and Clinton," I cried silently.

The question of this thread is whether the word "mix" is used properly with a respectful or neutral intention. It seems to me that either "mix" or "combination" conveys a bit of a sense of negativeness. If so, what is a respectful way to express my idea?

The word "mix" is a neutral term. It's not negative at all. However, I have no idea what you're trying to say. What could a mix of Hillary and Clinton possibly be?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You've quoted something without telling us exactly where you saw it. My guess is that you wrote it yourself or it's some kind of casual opinion piece written by a non-native speaker.

In any case, I can't answer the question without having the context. I was tempted to close the thread – we've asked you for context so many times that providing it should be automatic for you by now – but I'll allow you one reply first.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Chelsea Clinton is the only child of Bill and Hillary, so I guess she inherits the good traits of her parents - compassion in advocating the sharing of COVID vaccine technology. "Mix" is a neutral word, as Tarheel pointed out.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
They probably mean 'a mix of Hillary and Bill'.

That's it. But I thought of a Hillary and a Bill Clinton before they got married.

Here's the Nature's headline: Chelsea Clinton urges global sharing of COVID vaccine technology and the photo of Chelsea:
d41586-021-02164-8_19553368.jpg

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you simply trying to say that she looks like both her parents?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Are you simply trying to say that she looks like both her parents?

Basically, yes, but tried using more sophisticated English to express the idea. Please offer one if you'd like to. The practice is use more advanced English in thinking.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Basically, yes, but I want to use more sophisticated English to express the idea. Please suggest something if you'd like to. The idea is use more advanced English in thinking.

Do you want a more sophisticated way to say she resembles her parents? (I don't have one.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am guessing that you want to give the impression of being a proficient native speaker. (That's not something I try to do.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't see that much of her father in her face- is it just me?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't see that much of her father in her face- is it just me?

It's not just you, but she is the absolute spit of her mother. (Note for learners: "the spit of someone" is a shorter way of saying "the spitting image of someone" in BrE.)

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's not just you, but she is the absolute spit of her mother. (Note for learners: "the spit of someone" is a shorter way of saying "the spitting image of someone" in BrE.)

I take "spit" as "perfect likeness."
Be careful to use the word "absolute."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I take "spit" as "perfect likeness".

I'm using it as we would use it for someone incredibly similar to someone else. Unless two people are identical twins, we all know there's not a "perfect likeness". In the UK, even looking at a picture of a newborn baby, you might hear someone say "Wow! She's the absolute spit of her mother!"

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but saying "Be careful to use the absolute" means "Make sure you use the word absolute". I have a feeling that's not what you meant. I think you were actually trying to advise me to consider carefully before using it. If that's the case, you needed "Be careful about using the word absolute".

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I take "spit" as "perfect likeness".

Why was the first period "." put outside the quotations marks while the second was inside them?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why was the first period "." put outside the quotations marks while the second was inside them?

That was my error. I should have put both the full stops outside the quotation marks.

Abdalghani

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Sudan
Current Location
Sudan

This is due to differences of culture. In the Middle East countries, a wife does not take her husband's name. And I think this is true for the Far East countries.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
For anybody who is interested in the technical details of how our heredity works I am going to start a thread in General Members Discussions. Why do siblings differ?

Status
Not open for further replies.