Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
While translating a list of authors of scientific articles and their work places from Russian into English, I came across a name of a school which consists of an abbreviation showing the school's status MAEI (Municipal Autonomous Educational Institution) and the name of the school (“Vidnovskaya Gymnasium”). How should I put it all together for it to sound more natural?
1) Municipal Autonomous Educational Institution “Vidnovskaya Gymnasium”
2) “Vidnovskaya Gymnasium” Municipal Autonomous Educational Institution
3) Municipal Autonomous Educational Institution Vidnovskaya Gymnasium (without the inverted commas)
4) Vidnovskaya Gymnasium Municipal Autonomous Educational Institution (without the inverted commas)
5) another variant

How about capitalization? Should all the words be capitalised, or only the name of the school?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is it really necessary to include the school status? If so, is it sufficient to use the abbreviated form MAEI? If you do need to write MAEI in full, then yes you should capitalise each word.

I suggest you try to keep things as short and as clear as possible. If the point is to list the name of the institution, then you should write that first. If you must put the status, then you could add it after the name, clearly marking it differently. I would personally probably use brackets and a different font to make the contrast, definitely not quotation marks.

Vidnovskaya Gymnasium (MAEI)

Status
Not open for further replies.