Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
'There is an apple and two pears' sounds as if 'apple and two pears' were a single entity.
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...nd-two-pears-on-the-table.295548/post-1838809

Is "formal written and spoken English" a singular collective entity or two individual singular entities? I see them as a singular collective entity because of the word "formal". To me, "formal English" is equivalent to "formal written and spoken English". I think other native anglophones here will see it the opposite way ....

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/oUIGAE7E8ck/m/bdhAdwdb270J
---
1. a single entity.
2. a singular collective entity
3. two individual singular entities

How can I choose between "single" and "singular" for the cases? I think that "single" means "only one" while "singular" means "of or relating to the form of a word used when talking or writing about one thing". But it seems to me that both "single" and "singular" work for the cases although the meaning will differ slightly.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't understand the question.

Are you asking what White Hat means? Or are you asking about the differences in use between the words single and singular?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@kadioguy I see "formal written and spoken English" as one thing, not two. As for the rest, I think you have answered your own questions.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Or are you asking about the differences in use between the words single and singular?
Yes, I'm asking this. Are they interchangeable in the cases? It seems to me that both "single" and "singular" work for the cases although the meaning will differ slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.