[Vocabulary] A tough steel spring system which mashed with ratchets on either side of the lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Capture.jpg
Hello Again,
"if the rope Gave way .." what does this sentence mean?
I don't know exactly what the meaning of mentioned sentence is? and also the following words:
Spring system
Mashe!
Ratchests
Lift shaft
Is it possible give me the source of dictionaries.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
View attachment 2023
Hello Again,
"if the rope Gave way .." what does this sentence mean?
I don't know exactly what the meaning of mentioned sentence is? and also the following words:
Spring system
Mashe!
Ratchests
Lift shaft
Is it possible give me the source of dictionaries.

"If the rope gave way" means "if the rope broke". Some of the other words are mangled. "Mashe" should probably be "mesh" and "Ratchests" should probably be "ratchets". If you can give us more context we can very likely give you further help.

"If the rope gave way" means "if the rope broke". Some of the other words are mangled. "Mashe" should probably be "mesh" and "Ratchests" should probably be "ratchets". If you can give us more context we can very likely give you further help.
I have attached the whole text.

No attachment is visible to me. Could you please cut and paste the text into the body of a post?

No attachment is visible to me. Could you please cut and paste the text into the body of a post?
Unfortunately, it cannot be copied so I made a capture and put here as follow:
Untitled.jpg

It clearly says 'meshed'.

The lift works on the basis of a pulley-and-cable system to lift and lower the lift car.
This is complemented by the spring and rachet(toothed wheel) system which kicks in whenever the tension of the cable reaches a minimum limit.
The term 'the rope give way' is not correct. It is actually a switch-over from one system to another to give a smooth ride on the lift.

not a teacher

My reading is that the spring and ratchet is a safety brake. If the rope (which is used for lifting and lowering) fails, then the springs would engage and halt the car, by forcing the ratchets out into the shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back