• Thread starter Yourjones
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,557
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yourjones

Hi, this is about fence.

1. I think this altogether is called "fence", and it is not countable. If it is not countable, what quantity word can we use for it just as "flight" in "a flight of stairs".
2. In SPOKEN English, what are the vertical bars called, or could I just say "the vertical bars/poles"?
3. The same question is for the horizontal bar at the top of the fence?
4. Apparently one can not get to the other side through the fence. But why? (I hope you understand I am asking question about how the vertical bars function to stop anyone from passing through.)

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-25-21-13-34-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-25-21-13-34-1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi, this is about fence.

1. I think this altogether is called "fence", and it is not countable.
It's called 'fence' and it is countable, as any dictionary will tell you.
2. In SPOKEN English, what are the vertical bars called, or could I just say "the vertical bars/poles"?
I'' call them 'bars' - in speech and in writing.
There may be a special term for it. I can't think of one at the moment.
4. Apparently one can not get to the other side through the fence. But why? (I hope you understand I am asking question about how the vertical bars function to stop anyone from passing through.)
The original designers of fences spent years measuring the width of people all over the world. They discovered that fewer than one per cent of the world's population were less than x centimeters wide at their narrowest point. So, the Fence Makers' Guild ordained that the maximum distance between the bars of a fence should be x-1 centimeters, thus ensuring that 99% of the population could not get between them, even sideways.

Last edited:
not a teacher

#2 The term "picket" is usually associated with a wooden fence, but metal ones like these are often called "pickets" too.
Metal Picket Fence, Metal Picket Fence Products, Metal Picket Fence Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

#3 The horizontal bars are usually called "rails", and this is the "top rail".

As 5jj says, both of these parts are commonly called "bars".

I agree that it's a picture of a fence, but I would probably call them railings.

People can't move through fences because that's why fences exist. They can, however, move through gates. That why gates exist.

Hi teachers and "not teahers", thank you all so much for your kind answers. I am really grateful.

In fact, none of my questions is a logcal problem, an inquiry of non-language knowlege, or even a riddle. Instead, they are questions purely about what words or expressions to use to explain what happens in everyone's daily life.

I would reckon the hardest part of a language is the daily bit and I guess that is why most of the irregular change in verb tense forms come out of those that couldn't be used more in daily life such as "eat", "go", "drink" and dozens of others.

I would never have known I should say "you can see your BREATH when it’s cold", "the dog WAGS its tail", or "you can draw a smiling face IN THE FOG on the window when the outside is very cold" if I had not asked my British colleagues.

But I do appreciate all your useful replies, and that is why I like this website. I will ask questions in a more straight-forward way.

I agree that it's a picture of a fence, but I would probably call them railings.
I agree. I was thinking of the countability of the word 'fence' in my original response. These pictures are what normally comes to mind when I think of 'fence':

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Wood_fence.jpg
http://barryhomesinc.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/61/files/2013/05/barry-homes-fences-decks-7.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Westtown.jpg/300px-Westtown.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back