About the grammar mistakes our politician made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sall

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

Turkey's main opposition leader posted a tweed in english criticising the policies of president Erdoğan. Yet, many turkish people including me tought that something was wrong with that sentence. Me and my friends had a debate about whether that sentence was gramatically wrong or its correct and just "sounds bad".

Here is the tweet from Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu: My call to the world: I’m nothing alike to Erdogan. I come from the Kuvayi Milliye tradition. No one can declare our soldiers as watchmen to where they fled; or declare my country an open prison to refugees. Let me tell you in advance, very tough negotiations are waiting for you.

What are the grammatical errors in this sentence (if there are any)?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.

Turkey's main opposition leader posted a [STRIKE]tweed[/STRIKE] tweet in English, criticising the policies of President Erdoğan. [STRIKE]Yet[/STRIKE] Many Turkish people, including me, thought that something was wrong with [STRIKE]that sentence[/STRIKE] the sentences. [STRIKE]Me and[/STRIKE] My friends and I had a debate about whether [STRIKE]that sentence was[/STRIKE] they are grammatically wrong or [STRIKE]its[/STRIKE] are correct and just "[STRIKE]sounds[/STRIKE] sound bad".

Here is the tweet from Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu: My call to the world: I’m nothing [STRIKE]alike to[/STRIKE] like Erdogan. I come from the Kuvayi Milliye tradition. No one can declare our soldiers as watchmen to where they fled; or declare my country an open prison [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] for refugees. Let me tell you in advance, very tough negotiations are waiting for you.

What are the grammatical errors in this sentence (if there are any)?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections to your post and the tweet above. I don't know what the writer meant by the blue underlined part so I am unable to correct it. As the writer isn't a native English speaker, I would expect to see one or two errors. Wouldn't you?

Please be very wary of posting political content on the forum. I have left this one in place because it is clearly to do with English.

Note to all responders: please stick to language issues in your responses. Any comments on the political content will be deleted.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is he trying to suggest with the blue text? Based on the following line about "declaring my country an open prison", I would guess that someone is trying to suggest the soldiers are like prison guards in the area that they "fled" to. That's just my guess however, because the blue text really is meaningless.

For me, that's the biggest language problem with the tweet. The other errors emsr corrected, while noticeable, don't really detract from the overall comprehension like the blue text does.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The English sounds like a translation to me, especially the blue bit. Are you sure Mr Kılıçdaroğlu didn't write in Turkish?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher. Just passing by to ask a question.
------

I'm sorry that it's not necessarily relevant to the OP. What is the difference between A and B?

A) Turkey is an open country to refugees.
B) Turkey is an open country for refugees.

I think A is about refugees' opinion. They think Turkey is a prison in their opinion.
I think B is about what prison holds. Turkey is a prison which holds refugees.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Declare our soldiers to be guards of places they fled to?

Status
Not open for further replies.