AI is still developing but it has already become an.....

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was chatting with my friend A about AI.

A: Silver, do you use ChatGPT?
Silver: I used not to. However, my friends told me it would be great for my English learning so I gave it a try.
A: How did you feel?
Silver: Great. It always provides excellent ideas. It's of great help for people like me, you know, lack of thoughts and logic.
A: Haha, you must be kidding. I don't like using AI tools.
Silver: It's very convenient.
A: I think they are not perfect and makes mistakes. You know, machine always do that.
Silver: AI is still developing but it has already become an unstoppable juggernaut of the technology innovation of this era.

The sentence I said is just my opinion. I wasn't persuading A to use what he doesn't like but the fact is that AI is taking control of this world.

Is my italic sentence okay?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Much appreciated, teacher jutfrank.

That's okay. You took a risk by using 'juggernaut' but I think you used it well. The grammar is good.
I think a safer way to learn how to use high-registered English words is to use a phrase. First, understand what it means and then try to use it. A nice friend Frank told me this. :)

I learned the phrase "unstoppable juggernaut" in a piece of VOA news; it was talking about the Michael Jordon and its team "Chicago Bull". They were going to win the final (maybe, I don't remember clearly) and no one could stop them.

I think A.I. is similar like that, or the spreading of A.I. tools are unstoppable because it's really convenient and many people can benefit from it.

Please allow me to ask you a question about the sentence:

A.I. is still in its infancy but it has already become an unstoppable juggernaut in this era.
Is it okay if I add "in this era"? In China, still many people don't know AI at all and some are struggling to believe that theri future life will be connected with A.I. You know, that sort of unease feeling. I want to tell them that we have to face this and learn how to cope with A.I. to assist our lives.

I totally agree with you that the "technology innovation" is redundant. I want to add something after the "unstoppable juggernaut" but I don't know what.

Please enlighten me!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I learned the phrase "unstoppable juggernaut" in a piece of VOA news; it was talking about the Michael Jordon and its team "Chicago Bull". They were going to win the final (maybe, I don't remember clearly) and no one could stop them.

Yes, good. This phrase is a powerful and dramatic metaphor, so it's quite strong, but I think it suits what you want to say. You could imagine a huge heavy truck driving fast down a road. In fact, we routinely use the word 'juggernaut' to refer to very large trucks.

Is it okay if I add "in this era"? In China, still many people don't know AI at all and some are struggling to believe that theri future life will be connected with A.I. You know, that sort of unease feeling. I want to tell them that we have to face this and learn how to cope with A.I. to assist our lives.

Let me suggest a phrase you could use, which is 'of our time'. We use this phrase to talk about our historical era.

AI is still in its infancy but it has already become an unstoppable juggernaut of technological innovation of our time.

I totally agree with you that the "technology innovation" is redundant.

And more importantly, wrong. See how I've corrected it above.

Please enlighten me!

Let there be light!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Let me suggest a phrase you could use, which is 'of our time'. We use this phrase to talk about our historical era.

AI is still in its infancy but it has already become an unstoppable juggernaut of technological innovation of our time.
Much appreciated, teacher jutfrank.

Please help me with two more questions about the italic sentence.

1) I think the "it" is optional. Am I right?
2) Thanks a lot for suggesting the right form of the phrase. I thought "Technology innovation" is the standard expression; I thought it was a compound noun. My original question was: Will it sound better if I simply say "AI is still in its infancy but it has already become an unstoppable juggernaut of our time."

Much appreciated!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't agree that the to should be deleted after I used not. For me, the possibilities are:

I used not to. Correct but a little dated.
I didn't use to. Fine.
I didn't used to. Technically incorrect, but common.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1) I think the "it" is optional. Am I right?
2) Will it sound better if I simply say "AI is still in its infancy but it has already become an unstoppable juggernaut of our time."

1) Yes, right.
2) No. In my judgement, if you use of our time it's better with of technological innovation too.