Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From a TOEIC test]

Welcome to this year's national tennis championship tournament. We're pleased that you will be here throughout the week to cover the championship matches. Remember that you are required to wear and display your press identification cards at all times. This promises to be an exciting and historic week. Following the play each day, selected players will be brought to the media center, where all of you will have an opportunity to ask questions. In the Interview area. In consideration of both players and fellow members of the media, we ask that you kindly turn off all mobile phones and pagers in the interview area. When you are called upon, please wait for a microphone to be handed to you before asking your question. Now I am pleased to welcome Sergio Padova, last year's champion. He'll talk about this year's tournament and answer questions.

[Source]

----

I'm thinking about the use of the singular and plural forms in this article.

I assume:

1. Each person has one opportunity, so "an opportunity", while there are many people, so "ask questions".

2. "Asking your question" (without "s") implies that one person should ask only one question.

What do you think?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. I think the speaker is thinking of the press conference as the opportunity, in which case there is only one opportunity for everybody. The event itself is the opportunity, in which there will be asked multiple questions.

2. This implies that each person will be asking only one question at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.