English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Have you finished yet?

He is curious, if I have already finished.

1)Is the change of 'yet' to 'already' necessary?

2)Could we keep 'yet'? :

He is curious, if I have finished yet.

Thank you

You can keep yet:

He wants to know if I have finished yet.

Thank you very much.

Could you provide me with any written material (grammar book etc.) where it is written. My teacher likes the idea of having a grammar reference quoted.

Could you provide me with any written material (grammar book etc.) where it is written. My teacher likes the idea of having a grammar reference quoted.
Rather than us hunting around books to 'prove' that something is possible, it is really up to those who say it isn't to justify their claim. I doubt if I could find 'proof' that the sentence "I don't put gin on my shredded wheat" is acceptable English, but it's fine, as any native speaker will confirm. You may well never hear those words uttered, but that's irrelevant.

Incidentally, this sentence is not natural: He is curious, if I have already finished.

We need something like:

He is curious about whether I have finished yet.
He wants to know whether I have finished yet.

5jj is correct. First of all, the sentence doesn't sound right the way it is written. Also the comma is not needed. That being said, it still makes sense to a native speaker.

Incidentally, this sentence is not natural: He is curious, if I have already finished.

We need something like:

He is curious about whether I have finished yet.
He wants to know whether I have finished yet.

I made the sentence up for the sake of the thread. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the original sentence. Thus, the mistake. :oops:

Rather than us hunting around books to 'prove' that something is possible, it is really up to those who say it isn't to justify their claim.

I agree with every word you wrote, but I am just a Czech student - unable to convince a typical Czech teacher who makes up their own 'rules'.

Another problem is the definition of correct English and stating what we really want - whether so-called correctness, which is mostly seen as an in-depth compliance with the rules given in our textbooks, or an attempt to teach English through its description i.e. how the language is actually used. Unfortunately, you will seldom see the latter in my country.

As for me, I believe you, because I had thought that 'yet' before, but I just hoped to get answers from far more experienced people. Thank you for these answers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back