Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]I've come across this quote.
"The great omission in American life is solitude; not loneliness, for this is an alienation that thrives most in the midst of crowds, but that zone of time and space, free from the outside pressures, which is the incubator of the spirit. ~Marya Mannes"

I don't understand the meaning of "[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]an alienation that thrives most in the midst of crowds[/FONT]". What does it refer to? Can someone help explain this? Thanks.
[/FONT]

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It refers to loneliness.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can have a lot of people around you, but that does not mean you are not affected by loneliness. I communicate with people from all over the world every day, but I hardly speak to my neighbours. We have lots of people around us, and may feel lonely, but we lack the solitude - total absence of outside influences - that may be necessary to feed the spirit. Loneliness, which could be present in crowds, should not be confused with solitude, which may be important when trying to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.