Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

Could you please check my explanation letter for mistakes?

Please allow me to apologize for being absent from the class on September 21 without informing you beforehand. At that time I found myself in circumstances that were beyond my control and had no choice but to take time off from university. Since I did not get a chance to pre-approve my leave, I will have to explain my motivation for the absence.
Instead of going to university, I had to visit the military office in order to confirm that I am currently studying at university, thus cannot be drafted into the army during the autumn call-up. Furthermore, I had to settle my affairs with the military office concerning my military eligibility. To be more precise, I needed to receive an official conformation in written form that I cannot complete my potential military service due to the heart disease I have.
I do understand your attitude towards the absenteeism from classes and do not negate the fact that I was absent without anyone’s permission. Moreover, I fully realize that my absence negatively affected the lesson since I had been given a special task to present a news-review on an international matter on Tuesday. However, I wholeheartedly believe that I can redeem this misdeed by completing some additional tasks and exercises.
I apologize once again for taking time off from university without first notifying the department and you.
I hope for your kind consideration,

I'm not sure if the letter sounds natural to native speakers and if there are some grammatical or lexical mistakes. Even though I normally do not miss any classes, I would like to learn how to compose this type of letters.

Thanks in advance

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Since I did not get a chance to pre-approve my leave, I [STRIKE]will have[/STRIKE] feel [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] I should explain [STRIKE]my motivation[/STRIKE] the reason for the absence.
[STRIKE]Instead of going to university,[/STRIKE] On that day, I had to visit the National Military Service Office [I'm guessing here because I don't know the actual name.] in order to confirm that I am currently studying at university [STRIKE], thus[/STRIKE] and cannot be drafted into the army during the autumn call-up. Furthermore, I had to settle [STRIKE]my affairs with the military office[/STRIKE] some matters concerning my eligibility for military service. [STRIKE]eligibility.[/STRIKE] To be more precise, I needed to receive [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] a written official conformation [STRIKE]in written form[/STRIKE] that I cannot complete my [STRIKE]potential[/STRIKE] military service due to the heart disease I have.
I do understand your [STRIKE]attitude towards the[/STRIKE] policy on absenteeism, [STRIKE]from classes and do not negate the fact that I was absent without anyone’s permission. Moreover,[/STRIKE] and I fully realize that my absence that day [STRIKE]negatively[/STRIKE] affected the lesson since I had been given a special task to present a news review on an international matter. [STRIKE]on Tuesday.[/STRIKE] However, I wholeheartedly believe that I can [STRIKE]redeem this misdeed[/STRIKE] make up for it by completing some additional tasks and exercises.

I apologize once again for taking time off from university without first notifying the department and you, and I assure you it will not happen again.
[STRIKE]I hope for your kind consideration,
[/STRIKE]
I'm not sure if the letter sounds natural to native speakers and if there are some grammatical or lexical mistakes. Even though I normally do not miss any classes, I would like to learn how to compose this type of letter.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.