Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There is an Indian actoress who has gone to the USA to work and live. She says that she has gone there to tell white people that Indians are not ugly and do not stink. "I don't know whether she has gone there to clear their doubts or to make their belief firmer."

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Actoress" isn't right. You've spelt it wrong.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Actoress" isn't right. You've spelt it wrong.

Sorry.

There is an Indian actress who has gone to the USA to work and live. She says that she has gone there to tell white people that Indians are not ugly and do not stink. "I don't know whether she has gone there to clear their doubts or to make their belief firmer."

Tony Phillips

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Croatia
"I don't know whether she has gone there to clear their doubts or to make their belief firmer."

This isn't correct because you're implying she's intentionally going there in order to make their beliefs firmer. This contradicts the previous sentence. I'd say something like "She might be going there with the intention to clear their doubts, but she could inadvertently make them worse."
I think this is what you're trying to say, yes?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As an actor, wouldn't she be going there to show this rather than tell it, not that they need much or any telling or showing.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It sounds like a very selfless action - migrating to a country to show the people there that you don't smell. I hope she gets some personal fulfillment out of it. But maybe there's an ulterior motive.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It sounds like a very selfless action - migrating to a country to show the people there that you don't smell. I hope she gets some personal fulfillment out of it. But maybe there's an ulterior motive.

You got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.