Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

1. I have an own sister.
2. Susan is an own sister of Thomas.

It is generally given in dictionaries that articles cannot be used before 'own'. In this context, is the use of 'an own sister' in the above sentences correct?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't make sense to refer to one's "own" sister in a simple statement of fact. The fact that she is your sister automatically makes her your own sister. However, the general rule you stated in post #1 is correct. I can't think of a single example in which "own" would be preceded by an article of any kind.

He makes his own bread.
She wants her own pony.
Your sister is blonde. My [own] sister is a brunette.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm watching football as I write. One player just scored an own goal.

vpkannan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Of course, the sentence 'I have an own sister' without a particular context may be verbose; however, in my opinion, given a context, it can be meaningful as given below:

'I had met your step sister yesterday, and she told that you don't treat her well.'
'Well, that is true to some extant because I have an own sister who you don't know. My own sister has left us due to my step sister only.'

vpkannan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
'Well, that is true to some extent because I have an own sister who you don't know. My own sister has left us due to my step sister only.'
Neither sentence is natural in BrE.

Maybe. If these sentences are not natural, then, please rephrase them such that they are natural and also convey the same meaning.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How do you understand own sister?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Of course, the sentence 'I have an own sister' without a particular context may be verbose; however, in my opinion, given a context, it can be meaningful as given below. You're wrong.

'I [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] met your stepsister yesterday, and she told me that you don't treat her well.'
'Well, that is true to some extent. [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] I have [STRIKE]an own[/STRIKE] a blood sister who you don't know. [STRIKE]My own sister has[/STRIKE] She left [STRIKE]us[/STRIKE] home [STRIKE]due to[/STRIKE] because of my stepsister." [STRIKE]only.'[/STRIKE]

I'm afraid you're simply wrong. There is no context in which "an own sister" is correct. In the context you gave, you needed to differentiate between a sister to whom you are related by blood (you share the same parents) and a stepsister.

There are circumstances in which "own + noun" can be used. Here are a few examples:

Some nurses work a 90-hour week. In fact, my own sister worked nearly 100 hours last week. (Here, "own" is simply used for emphasis. It would mean exactly the same thing if "My sister" were used.)

I saw five dogs catching frisbees in the park yesterday. I tried throwing a frisbee for my own dog and he just looked at me as if I was mad! (Again, it's just emphatic. "My dog" would mean the same.)

My brother wants a car but doesn't want to use his own money. For some reason, he seems to think I'm going to pay for it!

vpkannan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
How do you understand own sister?

'Own sister' is very much meaningful in a Tamil family, because, in a Tamil family, we call and treat both blood sisters and cousin(-sisters) as sisters without any discrimination. Therefore, 'own sister' is used to refer to the blood sisters whenever the reference is absolutely essential.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Tamil families speak the Tamil language. So are you talking about Tamil or English?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Own sister' is very much meaningful in a Tamil family, because, in a Tamil family, we call and treat both blood sisters and cousin(-sisters) as sisters without any discrimination. Therefore, 'own sister' is used to refer to the blood sisters whenever the reference is absolutely essential.

Then you will simply have to accept that it doesn't work like that in English. We have blood brothers/sisters, half-brothers/sisters, and step-brothers/sisters. There's no such thing as a cousin-sister. The girl/woman involved is either your sister or she's your cousin. She can't be both.

vpkannan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tamil families speak the Tamil language. So are you talking about Tamil or English?

So, 'own sister' has more to do with the culture rather than the grammar. If English is used to write about Tamil families in, say, a newspaper article, then 'own sister' makes sense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm still confused. Are you saying that in Tamil (when translated into English) the phrase "own sister" is used, or are you saying that when Tamil families speak English, they say "own sister"?

If I were writing an article in English about Tamil families, I would not use the phrase "own sister" unless I were making a point about a phrase that doesn't work in English being used in Tamil. If I were simply writing about a Tamil family, I would use English terminology - blood sister, half-sister and step-sister.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When you use the word own sister, you're incorrectly translating a Tamil word. In English, an accurate translation of this Tamil word (based on what you say it means) is 'female cousin'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If English is used to write about Tamil families in, say, a newspaper article, then 'own sister' makes sense.

To a Tamil audience familiar with the culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.