Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I don't know how to use "and that"in a sentence.
Can anyone give me an example?
Thank you

Two things. One, I understand politeness, but I don't understand thanking people for things they haven't done yet (and might never do). Two, I don't use "and that" unless I need to use it. What sentence do you need to use it in?

There's nothing special about these two words used together.

"He said he would hit a home run and that is exactly what he did."

Two things. One, I understand politeness, but I don't understand thanking people for things they haven't done yet (and might never do). Two, I don't use "and that" unless I need to use it. What sentence do you need to use it in?
First of all, I thank you for answering me . Maybe my question is not clear enough for you to understand so I give an example.
e.g. I miss you very much and that I want to see you right now. Is this sentence correct?

Hi guys, I show you more sentences with "and that".
1. All people seek after happiness, and that without any exception.
2. They fulfilled the task, and that in a few days.
3. I gave her some presents, and that the day before yesterday.
Can anyone tell me the purpose of using "and that" in these sentences?

No, it's not correct. Remove the "that" and it is correct. You need to build parallel structures when you use a conjunction.

I miss and I want. Or even "I miss and want."

These are all incorrect.

First of all, I thank you for answering me . Maybe my question is not clear enough for you to understand so I give an example.
e.g. I miss you very much and that I want to see you right now. Is this sentence correct?
No, say: "I miss you very much, and I want to see you soon."

These are all incorrect.
Sorry that I still have some confusion about using the "that" and I have found more examples from the Internet.
1. People from outside of our world talk about this and that's good for our sport.
Times, Sunday Times (2017)

2 Most said they hadn't thought much about it and that clients rarely asked.
Times, Sunday Times (2016)

3 And that is not about to change.
Times, Sunday Times (2012)

In these sentences above, the "that" is used as a conjunction or something like that?

1. Everybody wants to be happy. (I don't understand the rest.)
2. They completed the task in a few days.
3. I have her some presents the day before yesterday.

I can't tell you why you used "and that" in sentences where it doesn't make sense.

1. Everybody wants to be happy. (I don't understand the rest.)
2. They completed the task in a few days.
3. I have her some presents the day before yesterday.

I can't tell you why you used "and that" in sentences where it doesn't make sense.
Thank you for answering me . I don't know if these examples are correct as I just found them on the Internet. I am glad to learn more about English grammar from you if you have time.😊

If 'that' is a subordinator, use 'and that' if there is a previous subordinating 'that'.

He said that he was unhappy about the dcision and that he would retire.

If 'that' is a pronoun, referring to a previous situation or thing,'and that' is coordinating. It can often be replace by '. That'.

People from outside of our world talk about this and that's good for our sport.
People from outside of our world talk about this. That's good for our sport.
John had an affair, and that's why Diane divorced him.
John had an affair. That's why Diane divorced him.
This is my room and that's Mary's.
This is my room. That's Mary's.

It's a rare day indeed that I disagree with @SoothingDave, so I speculate that this is probably a BrE/AmE difference, because all the sentences quoted by the OP seem fine to me. It may be, however, that this use of "and that" is outmoded. I hope to hear more ftom our BrE teachers on that point.

It's a rare day indeed that I disagree with @SoothingDave, so I speculate that this is probably a BrE/AmE difference, because all the sentences quoted by the OP seem fine to me. It may be, however, that this use of "and that" is outmoded. I hope to hear more ftom our BrE teachers on that point.

1 and 2 may be sensible understood as you say here. It's definitely stilted and unnatural (or maybe old fashioned).

But "I gave her some presents, and that the day before yesterday."?

No. Maybe "I gave her some presents and that (the day before yesterday)." "Presents 'n'at" as they say in my dialect as a homespun "etcetera". or "things of that nature."

It's a rare day indeed that I disagree with @SoothingDave, so I speculate that this is probably a BrE/AmE difference, because all the sentences quoted by the OP seem fine to me.
They all sound unnatural to this speaker of BrE.

They all sound horrible to me.

1 and 2 are just about possible but sound odd. It's because that is being used as a pronoun to substitute for a whole clause (seek after happiness and fulfilled the task). That's quite unusual.

The only way I can make any sense of 3 is that and that is being used to mean 'etcetera', which is natural in my dialect. The main problem though is that the comma shouldn't be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back